Cooking Overnight/ Sleep

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

g2outfitter
Wrangler

Cooking Overnight/ Sleep

Postby g2outfitter » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:23 am

I here many say they put brisket on at night and then attend to it once they wake up. Are these strictly pellet smokers who can do this or can a stick burner accomplish this. I know on the pit master shows and others, these guys have amazingly expensive pits. On my offset I just don't see it to be possible as I have to add a stick every 1 1/2 hours or so. Just want to hear how everyone accomplishes their overnight or middle of the night cooks.

Thanks G2
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Cooking Overnight/ Sleep

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:56 am

You will not accomplish an all night cook unattended on a stick burner unless you are running a fan system like a guru but it can be done. Most stick burners average a stick about every 30 to 45 minutes. If you are getting 1.5 hours running average temps of 250°/275° on wood only then you are doing very well in my opinion. My Hybrid is built from a 250 gall tank. On average I put a split in about every 45 to 60 min. Sometimes less depending on the weather.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
g2outfitter
Wrangler

Postby g2outfitter » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks K.A.M I new you would know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:02 pm

As I've gotten older, I hate managing an all-night fire. I got a pellet pooper. If I am cooking for a crowd, I still use my offset, but crank up the heat for a shorter cook.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:28 pm

I think it might be possible to get some sleep with a stickburner, I've had fires that I added wood not too long before pulling the meat and with damper almost closed the final coals lasted 6 hours.
The cooker temps went down lower than you would want to cook but I don't think it would hurt the meat to have a vacation in the middle of the cook..
You could stoke the fire at 9 or 10, let it get established and reduce intake air, take a nap and add more wood or a basket of hot charcoals at say 4 or 5 AM and keep going..
I may try this myself if I cook a monster brisket, start cooking at noon and finish the next day.
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:15 pm

can't you do this with the minion method with coals and wood chunks?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Chasdev wrote:The cooker temps went down lower than you would want to cook but I don't think it would hurt the meat to have a vacation in the middle of the cook.

In my opinion those hard of temp swings effects the end product. I cook on a stick burner because sleep is over rated. When I do want to do things around the house I have Debbie cook on the WSM's or the UDS's

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:54 pm

sinfony78 wrote:can't you do this with the minion method with coals and wood chunks?

Not without a power draft system because the minion method is based on a slow burn with very little oxygen. If you try to burn like that in an offset your fire will go out and you will have low temps and if you heat it up the coals will run away with you.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:18 pm

I put a brisket on last night at 9pm, went to bed at 10pm, checked on the brisket at 9 am, and it was ready at 3pm. I separated the flat from the point, cubed the point and put it back on the pellet smoker, and wrapped the flat in a heating blanket. Dinner for eight at 6pm. It was brutal I tell you, brutal. :D
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
g2outfitter
Wrangler

Re: RE: Re: Cooking Overnight/ Sleep

Postby g2outfitter » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:08 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:I put a brisket on last night at 9pm, went to bed at 10pm, checked on the brisket at 9 am, and it was ready at 3pm. I separated the flat from the point, cubed the point and put it back on the pellet smoker, and wrapped the flat in a heating blanket. Dinner for eight at 6pm. It was brutal I tell you, brutal. :D

What kind of pellet smoker are you using and during your cooks do you have to refill pellets.

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:23 am

I got bored yesterday and went back and watched Franklins TV show from PBS online and he has an episode where he cooks a large brisket overnight, once it reaches 160 internal he puts a log on, lets it get established, sets the airflow and goes to bed..next morning he stokes the fire and finishes the cook.
Not a full night's sleep but 6 hours or so, which is enough for me.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:01 am

Chasdev wrote:I got bored yesterday and went back and watched Franklins TV show from PBS online and he has an episode where he cooks a large brisket overnight, once it reaches 160 internal he puts a log on, lets it get established, sets the airflow and goes to bed..next morning he stokes the fire and finishes the cook.
Not a full night's sleep but 6 hours or so, which is enough for me.

I do not watch BBQ shows. I also do not believe if its on facebook it must be true. :P :lol:
I have however seen a lot of folks ruin meat because their fire went out and they are frantically asking questions on forums "Is my meat still safe to eat?" ;)
A lot of my friends do it at competitions for their briskets. Cook it to 165° wrap it and throw it in the cambro to stay warm and finish off in the morning and sometimes they get lucky and it works well but more times than not their meat suffers in one way or another all for the sake of a nap. Like anything if you practice at it you will get good at it I prefer to tend my fires and catch my cat naps in between logs. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: RE: Re: Cooking Overnight/ Sleep

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:26 am

g2outfitter wrote:What kind of pellet smoker are you using and during your cooks do you have to refill pellets.

Blaz'n Grid Iron -- holds 30 lbs. of pellets. It'll cook for at least 20 hours at 225.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:42 pm

I have done several overnighters with and without a guru but I'm smoking on a Flower Pot.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:23 am

egghead wrote:I have done several overnighters with and without a guru but I'm smoking on a Flower Pot.

:lol: Gets me every time I read where you call your cooker a flower pot egghead. :lol:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”