Which smoker to buy for the a first timer?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Which smoker to buy for the a first timer?

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:14 pm

This is a truly difficult question to answer. It's like asking what car to get. "Should I get a Cobalt or Lamborghini?" Well, short answer is: It doesn't really matter what you get if you don't know how to drive. You will receive a variety of answers and while none are wrong, it really comes down to how much you enjoy BBQing.
The setup you purchase will not EVER make you successful (refer to car/driving ability statement for clarification). If you are new to smoking, my suggestion is buy a 100 dollar side box smoker from wal-mart and learn on that. Use the least amount of creature comforts like guages, probes, timers, etc. and learn how to use your own senses. I have made ribs on those 30 dollar square grills that turned out perfect. You will spend more time babysitting your cook, but that is part of the learning process. Once you learn your first grill, it's time to upgrade! You will have to learn that one too but if you're on a good path, you will have it figured after one cook. To toss in my own recommendation; you will spend anywhere from 150 - 300 bucks on a good starter pit, I would recommend the Oklahoma Joe Highland model for a 1st smoker. It controls temp very well, sturdy construction, good for a modest budget.

After you get a good hold on controlling your cook (without the use of gizmos and gadgets) then you should start looking at digital if you're interested in more advanced strategies. Good luck to ya and keep us posted! :cheers: :chef:
(Insert witty signature here)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:00 am

txdragon, where ya been? been missing ya....
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:30 am

spacetrucker wrote:txdragon, where ya been? been missing ya....

Hiya! I put a brief summary in the general forum. I'm back to doin the 'que thang!!!
(Insert witty signature here)
chicagoal USER_AVATAR
chicagoal
Pilgrim

Postby chicagoal » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Depends on your location I'm in Chicago the Webber smoker didn't hold a temp in colder weather but a year ago I went big green egg and I love it I smoke when it's -20 and snow without a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”