Gotta tickle them ribs!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Gotta tickle them ribs!

Postby Txdragon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:23 pm

First, I'd like to introduce the newest member of the family, Joe. Born today and weighing an astonishing 99.68 lbs. There's a story behind it. My wife and I went to wally world for some shopping and saw this pit was marked on clearance. I thought, "Praise Jesus, my prayers were answered!!" To much my surprise, the price was not changed. In fact, the tag was marked "was 288.00, now 268.00." I shouted, "LIARS!!!" This pit has been 268 dollars since we moved here a year and near 3 months ago. I quickly summoned the department manager to discuss this very notion. She exclaimed to me the price was recently reduced to clear it off the seasonal shelf. I showed her the picture of the price I snapped of it when I first saw it and showed the date stamp. She looked quite perplexed at this point and then back peddled. "Well we just dropped the price again." I let her know this was not true because I've been watching it all this time to buy when the price dropped, and it never moved. The store manager was unavailable to speak with that day so the next thing was to call Walmart corporate. Oh, yes I did! I explained the problem and they ensured me I would get a call from the store manager within 3 days. Yesterday was the 3rd day and sure enough, I got the call. The manager deeply expressed empathy over the matter and gave me a steep discount. From 268.00 to 174. I said sold! Got it home and pieced together, it's first cook pics below.

Joe!!

First cook of ribs. Yes, I actually have a grate thermometer on here. I wanted to check my stock door thermo differential. It's only 25 degrees different from door to grate. Not too shabby!!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Gotta tickle them ribs!

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:05 pm

:tup: :cheers: that stuff that you felt hitting you in the rear end as you left the store were non-audible obscenities :angryfire: - - - - - I just hope you can sleep tonight :laughing7: :D :lol:

all I see is RAW MEAT :dont: :roll: :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:30 pm

Haven't seen anything like that down here. Hmmmm considers building one????

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Here they were about an hour before coming off. Coasting nicely at 280 deg.

And cut!!

Turned out perfect for the first run on a new pit. I expected a few snafus, fortunately I had none.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:32 am

Congratulations on the cooker. :D The bones look mighty tasty. :D :salut:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:55 am

TD, Ribs looking fine for sure. Great that you that you brought walmart to there knees. Love the photos. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:58 am

awesome first time bonz, T-Dragon "The proof is in the Cooking" :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:02 am

Russ wrote:Haven't seen anything like that down here. Hmmmm considers building one????

Russ

It's an Oklahoma Joe Highland model. It's a very good quality "shelf unit". If you are familiar with Walmart, they carry them in some locations. Some hardware/home improvement stores carry them as well. It will hold a good mix of large cuts. They are a good, heavy duty construction using, and I'm just guessing at the exact measure, 1/8 - 3/16" steel. It's an educated guess because I welded the firebox seams this morning and I had to turn my little flux core welder up on full blast to get a good bead. (It will weld up to 3/16" without fuss.) The cooker itself; firebox and cook chamber, are only 3 pieces. The firebox is in 2 parts while the chamber is 1. Super easy to seal up and even when not sealed, holds temp pretty well. You can seal it with some permatex silicone or use some of the felt gaskets. You may probably stick with the high temp silicone for the firebox though, I have known some of the felt gaskets burning out on the fireboxes. I just weld it all up and be done with it. Lol.. Overall, It is a unit I would recommend anyone starting out to invest in.
OldUsedParts wrote::tup: :cheers: that stuff that you felt hitting you in the rear end as you left the store were non-audible obscenities :angryfire: - - - - - I just hope you can sleep tonight :laughing7: :D :lol:

all I see is RAW MEAT :dont: :roll: :lol:

Yeah, I saw the lawn and garden manager when I first walked into the store and she gave me a dirty look because corporate filed a complaint on her for giving me incorrect info. I slept well until about 4am when I wanted to start cooking. Lol

K.a.m. and bsooner, thanks! Given this was the first cook, I don't quite have the pit where I want it in terms of tuned up. I'm going to add a seal to the chamber lid and will be making a tuning plate either today or tomorrow.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:13 pm

Good deal TX
A buddy of mine has had one for a long time.
I used to borrow it when I was doing large patches of Salmon fillets. Sometimes had as many as 6 or 8 offsets going at the same time. His OJ held temp the best of all of em. Darn thing purred right along on a 4 hour smoke with very little babysitting

Congrats
Bill
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Txdragon no wal mart near me, incidentally I've read the book about wal mart many years ago about how it came to be. I would have to make it myself I think, my background is engineering and welding so wouldn't be a problem. Keep showing pics please. Love it.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”