Wild Hog Smoking?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Wild Hog Smoking?

Postby rus_bro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:10 am

So i decided that i wanted to try to smoke a wild hog butt and made call to a friend who tends to shoot pigs for fun. I asked him to get me a butt, but since no-one wants wild boar meat, i now have the 4 qts of a wild hog in the fridge. The hinds are about 7lbs each and the fronts are around 4lbs each. (WITH THE BONE).

I am wondering if i should try to cut out a butt from the qtr, or just debone it and smoke the whole thing? I am planning on pulling it and am not sure if the entire hind will pull well. Anyone have any experience in this?

I have gathered that i should be cooking at a low 225ish for the better part of a day (much like anytime the smoker gets lit i guess).

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Wild Hog Smoking?

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:45 am

RB, there are several members here that probably have a better grip on what you're trying to achieve but, as for myself, I have smoked a couple of Hawg legs (front and hind) but always over a water pan and the "texture" wasn't very adequate for "pulled pork". It was great for slicking and sammiches tho. :tup:

This Feller has a pretty good cook on a hind leg here if you want to take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahJIjtnXmzg

One other thing I might mention is that ?IF? whoever killed and dressed this Hawg didn't do it right, then the final taste is a "coin flip" - - - Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing OK :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:58 am

OldUsedParts wrote:RB, there are several members here that probably have a better grip on what you're trying to achieve but, as for myself, I have smoked a couple of Hawg legs (front and hind) but always over a water pan and the "texture" wasn't very adequate for "pulled pork". It was great for slicking and sammiches tho. :tup:

This Feller has a pretty good cook on a hind leg here if you want to take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahJIjtnXmzg

One other thing I might mention is that ?IF? whoever killed and dressed this Hawg didn't do it right, then the final taste is a "coin flip" - - - Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing OK :?:

Thanks OldUsed... DEFINITELY a coinflip on the guy who killed it.. HA.. :)

rb
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:01 am

Am I correct in thinking wild hog lacks the amount of fat that makes regular butts so forgiving?
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:12 am

Yes you are, Sailor, :tup: and that pretty much goes for all non-domesticate critters ?or at least that's been my experience?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Am I correct in thinking wild hog lacks the amount of fat that makes regular butts so forgiving?

I have cooked wild pork in a gravy a few times, and it definitely takes longer to get tender. Much less forgiving and fun to deal with. BUT i do love a challenge. ALSO im probably going to be cooking ribs on the kettle that day (just in case).

rb
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 am

Moist heat for sure. I cook wild hog very frequently. For smaller parts, give them a couple hours in some smoke then foil them or pan and cover. I recommend adding some liquid to the pan or foil pouch when you do; my fave is 1/2 apple juice, 1/4 beer, 1/4 apple cider vinegar.
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Yes you are, Sailor, :tup: and that pretty much goes for all non-domesticate critters ?or at least that's been my experience?

I ate elk once.... :lol:

Very interested to see how this wild hog turns out! We're doing a tame one today.
Moink!
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:56 am

Txdragon wrote:Moist heat for sure. I cook wild hog very frequently. For smaller parts, give them a couple hours in some smoke then foil them or pan and cover. I recommend adding some liquid to the pan or foil pouch when you do; my fave is 1/2 apple juice, 1/4 beer, 1/4 apple cider vinegar.

Dragon, do you think i should leave it on the bone and do the whole hind qtr, or should i try to debone and treat it kinda like a roast?

rb
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:25 pm

rus_bro wrote:
Txdragon wrote:Moist heat for sure. I cook wild hog very frequently. For smaller parts, give them a couple hours in some smoke then foil them or pan and cover. I recommend adding some liquid to the pan or foil pouch when you do; my fave is 1/2 apple juice, 1/4 beer, 1/4 apple cider vinegar.

Dragon, do you think i should leave it on the bone and do the whole hind qtr, or should i try to debone and treat it kinda like a roast?

rb

I'd leave it on the bone if it's less than 10lb. Larger hinds are good to debone and rub down on the inside then tie them up, much like a lamb hind.
(Insert witty signature here)
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:13 pm

Last question: Any preference in which side i should cook? the Hind or the front qtr? Do you have a preference on which smokes best?

thanks
rb
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Trailer Hitch always gets my Vote on any Wild Critter :pig: :chef:
Less sinew also :idea:
All shoulders "always" went in the Sausage Trimmings. :salut:
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:32 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Trailer Hitch always gets my Vote on any Wild Critter :pig: :chef:
Less sinew also :idea:
All shoulders "always" went in the Sausage Trimmings. :salut:

OUP You are the man!.. the help is appreciated, im going to get some pix up here in a week or 2. Hope you guys can take the anticipation.

rb
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Looking forward to your cook, and thanks, but I'm far from an expert on anything - - - I'm a trial and Error type Smoker/Griller However, it sure sounds like T-Dragon has Cremated more Ferals that I've even seen. :laughing7: :D :lol:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:23 pm

I love wild pig smoked or in a gravy.
When smoking it remember the fat ain't there to carry like a pen raised pig. When my shoulders or hind quarters hit about 150° I am wrapping them with some apple juice.
We just smoked about a 60 lb. pig two weeks ago for a little pig picking we quartered it after it hit 150° and wrapped the pieces.
IMG_5146.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”