STEAK COOKIN

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MLS
Pilgrim

Re: STEAK COOKIN

Postby MLS » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:58 pm

I hate to tell you this Justin but it sounds like your getting set up for failure. :shock: I have done a steak catering and it was rough. Steak is one of those serve off the grill foods. (Only way for everyone to eat together is if your cooking for a group that doesn't know how to eat steak and wants them all well done.) If you try to store your steaks in a cooler, the carry over will take them past med rare. I would convince your boss to go with prime rib. Same quality of meat without the overcooking possibility. Set up a carving station at the end of your serving line and cut away. Plate as the line moves to you. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Get ya a thermapen and you will be fine. Pull at desired temp 130 for medium,and let rest for a five minutes. You probably knew all that.Sucklebusters SPG and some olive oil works for me. Good luck
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Good advice from Limey. If you don't want to spring for the Thermapen the Thermapop does an excellent job and checks temps under 3 seconds. They run about $30.

SPG is an awesome steak seasoning. Especially for a crowd.

At that kind of an event nobody expects their steak to be cooked to their exact specifications …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:22 pm

if you are well experienced by testing doneness by the finger poke test?
I cook EVERYTHING with my Thermapen instant read digital thermometer
125° for the med.rare folks & 135° for the medium folks
if you don't have some type of steamer serving pans setup?
you need to have a cambro type setup to keep steaks warm until they're served
one trick is a towel in the bottom of a cooler
then a big pan with HOT water poured into the pan, and a pan over that
after you pull the steaks that are done you can put them in the warm cooler until you serve them
another trick is a Crockpot just sitting there on High, throw the done steaks in it and serve out of it
we use a Crockpot for pulled pork at our lodge on football Sundays
I have two old fashioned electric roasters that i use to keep food warm before I serve it

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Great news. There is going to be way fewer people show up to our show, so that means fewer steaks. After the rsvp list came in it is more like 20 people instead of 50-75. You all have no idea what a load off of my shoulders that is. I am still looking forward to it. Decided to make a steak butter to go with the steaks and hold off on the onions and shrooms till I can give them a try. Thank you all for your advice.
markadams98520
Pilgrim

Postby markadams98520 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Make your boss buy you a 1200* watt sous vide circulator. You can have all those puppies sitting in an Igloo cooler at Rare for as long as needed. Then grill'em to order. *Any smaller wattage may give you a problem with this many steaks.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:26 pm

JustinCouch wrote:Great news. There is going to be way fewer people show up to our show, so that means fewer steaks. After the rsvp list came in it is more like 20 people instead of 50-75. You all have no idea what a load off of my shoulders that is. I am still looking forward to it. Decided to make a steak butter to go with the steaks and hold off on the onions and shrooms till I can give them a try. Thank you all for your advice.

Yay! Good luck, and let us know how it went!
Moink!
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Important: Don't sweat it, nobody is going to complain about a free steak dinner. Just shoot for how you would do at home and you will get plenty of compliments. Good luck to ya.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:52 pm

?20? the Grill Gods are smilin on ya Justin - - - you'll do just fine so sic'em :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Break a leg Justin - you'll do mightyfine.

I see a nice bonus in your future :D
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Well the day is almost upon me. Got the revised list and it will be a big cook. 50 steaks to be cooked next Wednesday. I cant wait. We ordered the steaks, salad, and taters today and the steaks will come into the shop on Tuesday. We are going to eat at 12 so I will have them seasoned and at room temp by 10 and grill lit by 10:30. Cooking on a large pull behind grill. Never used one so it will be a crash course. Winging it has always been my way. I do wish I could have cooked on it at least once.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:51 am

Get a (or some) kitchen timers so you can cook them by time, don't crowd the grill or the coals won't "breathe" right and the grill will lose heat, hot fire is mucho importante.
If you run a hot fire, thin ones go three minutes per side, 1.5 to 2 inches thick go 4/5 minutes per side with NO flipping back once the timer says time to flip.
Trust your timer/s, not your eyes.
If you can, run two or three as a test to establish how long the size/type meat you have takes to cook.
Let the meat come to room temp before cooking and salt (only) while they wait, let the cooked meat sit under foil for two/three minutes before slicing.
Not sure how you can deal with rare or well done requests, shoot for medium and grin?
Cook a bunch in advance and pan/wrap them to keep them from drying out/cooling off but remember they will keep cooking a little under the wrap so beware going well done from medium.
Sounds like fun to me but I love to grill burgers and steaks!
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:31 am

well its 10:30 and 45 min till I light the fire. I will post pics tonight when I get home
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:53 am

JustinCouch wrote:well its 10:30 and 45 min till I light the fire. I will post pics tonight when I get home

best of luck
you've had plenty of time to get it straight in your head
and to get prepared

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Good Luck and Have Fun :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”