Fajita fail, again...

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Fajita fail, again...

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Chasdev wrote:
Txdragon wrote:Are you cooking them to death? I.E. any doneness level over medium? Also, are you slicing them too thick? If your fajeeta slices are thicker (wider) than 1/4", you're asking for trouble as it is. If you're cooking them to death and slicing too thick, you're adding gas to the fire!

I've tried slow cooking and fast sear, marinated from a few hours to overnight (and one for a week in the freezer just for grins), always cut across the grain with thin slices but can't get away from tough meat.
Funny, seems like 30 years ago when we cooked them almost every summer weekend the meat was much more tender, along with being way way cheaper..

Are you using beef skirt?
(Insert witty signature here)
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Yes, in the first sentence of my first post I say skirt.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:09 pm

the skirt steak aka fajitas and several other names, usually come with a membrane on both sides. That must be cleaned off the meat, the fat if there is any can be left alone, these should be cooked hot and fast then use the Texas crutch (foil) to steam them in their own juice, The lime juice marinate is good to do after the steak is cleaned of any membranes, also a table spoon of vinegar and some oil along with your seasoning of choice. So cook them hot and fast to the rare side of medium about 15 minutes the way I cook; then place them in the foil(wrap tightly) they should steam to mush in about 30 to 45 minutes additional seasoning can be added when wrapped such as tiger sauce and the like. try it and let us know how it comes out? Times past this was not sold but ground into hamburger or sold for dog food in the price area of .15 a pound, talking about the 60's when I was cutting meat in a little corner store....
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:37 am

spacetrucker wrote:the skirt steak aka fajitas and several other names, usually come with a membrane on both sides. That must be cleaned off the meat, the fat if there is any can be left alone, these should be cooked hot and fast then use the Texas crutch (foil) to steam them in their own juice, The lime juice marinate is good to do after the steak is cleaned of any membranes, also a table spoon of vinegar and some oil along with your seasoning of choice. So cook them hot and fast to the rare side of medium about 15 minutes the way I cook; then place them in the foil(wrap tightly) they should steam to mush in about 30 to 45 minutes additional seasoning can be added when wrapped such as tiger sauce and the like. try it and let us know how it comes out? Times past this was not sold but ground into hamburger or sold for dog food in the price area of .15 a pound, talking about the 60's when I was cutting meat in a little corner store....

+1 on the foiling and steaming after searing for color. :thap:
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”