Firegrate in offset smoker or not?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Firegrate in offset smoker or not?

Postby Chasdev » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 am

I've been re-reading Franklin's book and watching his videos again too and I just realized he does not use a fire grate in any of his smokers, the fire is sitting in the firebox and the ash just piles up.
I know his giant smokers don't really directly apply to my small offset but in his video he uses a small offset made by the same guys that make my Pecos smoker, and there is no grate or grate type device in that one either.
I tried a test run that way and the ash build up seemed to make the temps more consistent during the first half or so of a 10 hour cook but after the ash got real deep, I struggled to figure out what the fire wanted to maintain a good base as the coals sort of got lost in the ash.
Anybody tried it or given it any thought?
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Re: Firegrate in offset smoker or not?

Postby CaptJack » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:13 am

the other thing that Franklin does when he builds his fireboxes is
they are a pipe in a pipe - insulated by an air gap
there is a shovel outside of the firebox that they use to "work" the fires all the time
they treat them like a fire in a fireplace working it with a poker
if you watch his shows / videos they usually have the door to the firebox partially open
so the fire is always getting a lot of air

i would just use a heavy expanded metal grate
and a shovel small enough to slide under it to remove some of the ash during the cook
to keep the air under the fire
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:01 pm

I also use a firegrate and have a small shovel that fits under the grate, was just wondering what his angle is...perhaps the ashes make the coal bed last longer?
No big deal, just felt like bringing it up.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:19 pm

just my $0.02 but seems to me the only thing that ashes could possibly do is limit ?or direct? draft or airflow :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:24 pm

I just cooked this..and did an experiment with and without ash buildup to see how the bed of coals was effected.
There was a noticeable difference between no ash and with ashes piled up under the grate.
With ashes piled up the coals lasted longer, and the fire was easier to maintain, perhaps the ash acts as an insulator to keep the heat from transferring to the metal body of the firebox?
Attachments
DSC01389.JPG
DSC01383.JPG
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:16 am

Last comment on dead topic..we smoked a dozen raw sausages after the brisket went in the warmer, and today when I cleaned out the firebox, the ashes had built up to almost touching the fire grate.
The fire behaved the best at the end of the cook when the ashes were 90% filling the airspace under the grate, sticks burned slowly without smoldering or flaring.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:20 am

:tup: so the bottom line is "Air Control" - Right :?: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 am

Yes always.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:39 pm

I caught a TV show yesterday on Austin BBQ and of course they showed and talked to Franklin and then they talked to one of the guys Franklin used to work for and also showed him driving his smoker..and he also did not have a fire grate and was placing logs on top of a large pile of ash.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Chasdev wrote:I caught a TV show yesterday on Austin BBQ and of course they showed and talked to Franklin and then they talked to one of the guys Franklin used to work for and also showed him driving his smoker..and he also did not have a fire grate and was placing logs on top of a large pile of ash.

Do what works for you. That is the best advice ever given as no two cookers perform the same.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:18 pm

No two cookers may be or act the same but when two of the top grill masters in the country are both doing the exact same thing,I have to wonder what they figured out or were trained to do that I have not yet in my newby brisket smoking endeavors managed to sus out.
I struggled with fire control and management for a long time and while I am much more in control of my temps these days, I am and will always be on the hunt for a "better way".
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:08 pm

No problem as long as you know when you get there :dont: :D :lol:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Chasdev wrote:No two cookers may be or act the same but when two of the top grill masters in the country are both doing the exact same thing,I have to wonder what they figured out or were trained to do that I have not yet in my newby brisket smoking endeavors managed to sus out.

They figured out what works best for them is all. I run fire grates in my cookers and I can control my temps within 25° plus or minus. Bottom line is as I have always said find what works best for you and go with it, it ain't rocket science and the more you let the cooker work for you the more enjoyable the cook will be. ;)

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”