Sunday Brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Sunday Brisket

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:15 pm

:tup: :salut: :cheers: VERY Impressive Smoke Ring for a Pellet Cook - - - thanks for sharing this cook - - I"ll be coming back to it and snitching some data next week :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:23 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Impressive for sure 1911. Looks "killer" :salut: :chef:

How was the new rub :?:

Bill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Great looking bark & ring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:05 pm

May I ask, being a brûlée expert, did the top cool down and crack like toffee when you broke into it??? Another aside, have you tried making these with free range organic eggs?? The tastes so different.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:17 pm

So, time for a more in-depth review since I am on my laptop instead of my phone, and in case OUP looks back on this.

For the cook, I used Rec-Tec's competition blend pellets. I got them from Amazon. Reasonably priced. No feeding issues and little dust. The flavor was very good, if a tad sweeter then I am used to. The temperature on the Camp Chef didn't fluctuate more than expected with the winds we were having.

The brisket was choice grade, around 15lbs after trimming that I picked up from Randall's. The flat, as you can see in the pictures was massive. Much more flat than point on this particular brisket.

As I mentioned earlier, the rub was Oakridge BBQ's Black Ops. It smelled good, and coated well. The end result, I really wanted to be wow'd based on all of the positive reviews I've heard. The long and short is that my socks were firmly in place on my feet after trying it, or, they would have been if I wore socks outside of the courtroom. It was good, but it didn't live up to my expectations. It wasn't that it was necessarily inferior. It just wasn't superior. I'll finish it out, because I don't feel like a single use is entirely fair to judge a rub, but as of right now, I doubt I'll buy it again. It's also no more likely than all but two other rubs I have to get pulled out of the closet on the next smoke. For my taste, SPG (If I'm in a central Texas flavor mood) or Everglades cactus dust blow this out of the water. Again, its good, but not great.

The method. I said it earlier, but I used the Camp Chef's Hi Smoke feature to start the cook. I woke up at 3 and started the grill. Topped off the hopper the night before so I didn't have to stress. While it was lighting and coming to temperature (roughly 225), I lightly trimmed the brisket. Mainly removing that knuckle of fat on top that won't render. Or, most of it. I don't like to get it down to bare meat. I also trimmed off anything that was uneven or sort of hung off, as it would have burned. No slather this time. Just the rub straight to the meat. By the time I was done with that, 3:15, the grill was ready, so on went the brisket. For me, being the first long cook, this is the selling point on these grills. What takes an hour to a hour and a half on the big pit took 15 minutes on this thing. I'm not joking when I say I was back in bed by 3:30. I "slept in" until just after 7 when the dog informed me that a trip outside was necessary. I checked on the pit and it was humming along right where it needed to be. Came inside and fixed some coffee.

Around 8 or so, I, rather unscientifically decided that it had probably had enough of the "hi smoke" and, as I wanted to make sure it was done timely, cranked the heat to 275. Other than periodically checking the pellets and giving them a stir, I let it roll until we made it through the stall. When the bark got to the color I was looking for, IT was 174. I wrapped it in foil and put it back on.

I realized that I'm still not a fan of foil on brisket. I'll be saving it for ribs and pork, and going back to the butcher paper for brisket. It was a little too roast beefy for my taste. Not bad mind you, but for my palate, a little roast beefy is too much. Tenderness was where I wanted it when the IT was 204. I wish I had taken more pictures, but this thing was spot on as far as tenderness and consistency. It was no problem keeping the slices to 1/4" on the flat and 1/2" on the point. The flat slices held up on their own, but when tugged, separated. I had neighbors knocking on the door asking for leftovers. Which, with just 4 adults and 2 kids (old enough to eat on it), we did, so we passed them out. Ended up with about 15 slices left over that are vacuum sealed and in the deep freeze for lunches.

Anyway, thanks for looking and, if you read all the way though, putting up with my diatribe. I hope there's something in here that helps. Or, if you see something I could be doing better, let me know! I'm not too proud to try something else.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Russ wrote:May I ask, being a brûlée expert, did the top cool down and crack like toffee when you broke into it??? Another aside, have you tried making these with free range organic eggs?? The tastes so different.

Russ

I don't tend to go that heavy on the turbinado sugar for it to crack more than the size of the spoon we are using. It's a little less than 2 tbs per ramekin. I don't know, if they cooled longer, if they would crack longer. If I'm being honest, and I don't intend for it to sound self aggrandizing, they don't typically last that long. The ramekins are usually still warm when they're pulled off the counter.

Have not tried free range eggs yet, but it's on the list. I tend to use what we have on hand. Usually cage-free, but nothing more than that. I will say, though, my recipe calls for one vanilla bean, split and stripped to be mixed with the heavy cream. I did two this time, and it really made a difference. That's going to be mandatory from here on out.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:30 pm

bondobill wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Impressive for sure 1911. Looks "killer" :salut: :chef:

How was the new rub :?:

Bill

Thanks Bill. The best way I can describe the rub is "meh."
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:32 pm

CaptJack wrote:one thing i learned about my pellet pooper is that you always cook the meat fat side down, towards the heat source
and i have a spritzer bottle with apple juice &a little apple cider vinegar that i spray with about every hour
and i have a water pan in the grill

Cap, I probably should spritz, but I'm just not a spritzer for anything but pork (butts and ribs). An idiosyncrasy of mine, I guess. Like your pellet grill though! Big Camp Chef fan now.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:33 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Looks good Sir :salut:

Ric G.

Thanks Ric!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:33 pm

woodenvisions wrote:SCORE !!!

Looks mighty tasty from the Poke a nose ...
( IN O.U.P 's words ) :)

Thanks WV.....Dare I ask how the toast was?
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:46 pm

You know I am the first to admit that I don't like pellet cookers. For reasons that we don't need to bring up here 8)

However after seeing that smoke ring I might have to rethink this whole pooper thing :shock:

Ric G.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:51 pm

I didn't either. Problem was, after making my offset into the trailer, I missed having something on the porch. The HOA won't let me keep trailers in the driveway. Throw into the equation the missus who looks at bbq like sausage.

She likes the end result, but hates the process. And how much attention I have to give it. My main thought behind the pellet pooper was appeasing her, and working on my competition chicken. I can dial it up in 25 degree increments to find out what gets the best result.

So, I'm a convert. Especially after today.

That being said, anything more than one hunk of meat requires the trailer.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:53 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
TX1911 wrote:I should clarify. By drip pan, I mean the bucket hanging off the side.

YIKES and you say it got to within a half inch of maxing :?:

Yeah, it doesn't hang straight. It's at an angle. So on the low end of the angle, it was half an inch. When I took it off to clean it, I had an inch of clearance. But, it was a LOT of grease. Substantially more than I'm used to.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:41 am

I don't tend to go that heavy on the turbinado sugar for it to crack more than the size of the spoon we are using. It's a little less than 2 tbs per ramekin. I don't know, if they cooled longer, if they would crack longer. If I'm being honest, and I don't intend for it to sound self aggrandizing, they don't typically last that long. The ramekins are usually still warm when they're pulled off the counter.

Have not tried free range eggs yet, but it's on the list. I tend to use what we have on hand. Usually cage-free, but nothing more than that. I will say, though, my recipe calls for one vanilla bean, split and stripped to be mixed with the heavy cream. I did two this time, and it really made a difference. That's going to be mandatory from here on out.[/quote]

The reason I ask is my daughter in law oves my brûlée, she has a friend that is very wealthy and eats out a lot, her fave brulee is a wee French place here about 20 mins drive from me.this lady was at my daughters one day and spotted 1 in her fridge, ( she takes 1 or 2 home if they are left over) she said ooh, my daughter told her to try, she said its the best ever. I can only put it down to the eggs I buy. Sorry to sidetrack ya.

Later gator
Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:13 am

beautiful
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”