Crazy usda Brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Crazy usda Brisket

Postby Finatic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:22 am

I typically use around 35 minutes per pound as a gauge on cook time for my briskets cooking around 275. At 12 lbs for me that would be 7 hours. Marbled meat will usually cook faster than lean meat. If you're used to cooking select (being a leaner cut) a more marbled choice can cook faster.
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:15 am

If im cooking at 260-270 on the WSM, I usually plan on about 7 hrs for smaller briskets and around 9 for bigger (up to 18lbs). I did a small comp and reached 165 in right at 3 hrs. BUT like they say, its done when its done. IF it seems to be cooking too fast, let it ride unwrapped in the stall for longer and the bark will just get better. I would do that if i didnt want to pull it and have it sit for TOOOO long in the cooler.

Short answer long, i dont think thats odd at all with that temp you are running.

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
SMOKEYJIM44
Pilgrim

Postby SMOKEYJIM44 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm pretty much with KAM on this one. Although I NEVER cook prime briskets, about 6 to 7 hours will usually do a 12 pound select or choice just fine for me. :dont: :lol:
Back in Texas, at last !!!! :texas:
Dobbs Son
Pilgrim

Postby Dobbs Son » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:49 am

My experience with brisket is limited, and I have only used prime, but my results mirrored yours. A 12lb. brisket reached 205 is 6 hrs and never stalled. Cook temp was 250 and only varied when wrapping at 165. Results, however were markedly different in that my cook resulted in dry and tough. Tasty chopped bbq, but hardly what I was going for. About Brisket being like a woman? I find the brisket more confusing. What brand was the lump coal in the background?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:20 pm

I dunno if it was mentioned here or not in anyone else's replies.. We all know weather plays a part too; temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc. Mother nature may have been on your side during this cook? Looks like it turned out very well, I wouldn't complain. It's ready when it's ready!
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”