Smaller (2-3 lb) flat briskets and "bark" - opinion sought

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Paul_in_PVE
Pilgrim

Smaller (2-3 lb) flat briskets and "bark" - opinion sought

Postby Paul_in_PVE » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:38 am

Hey Guys,

Wanted to "ask the pros" about cooking smaller briskets - particularly getting a good bark.

As a quick narrative, I have a wife who doesn't eat a ton of red meat and a 7 year old, so quite often, a 12 pound brisket is not in the cards. The Ralph's near my place sells a fairly nice flat brisket typically at 2.5-3 lbs. I do the usual - get the temp to about 230-240, smoke until I hit about 165 (typically 3 hours or so), foil it, and get it up to 190-200 until the thermometer slides in with almost no resistance. Then I'll wrap in a towel and stick in a cooler for a few hours. Pretty standard, really....

It makes for a good piece of meat - more intensely flavored and "smokey" than the larger briskets I run, big smoke rings, and fairly tender (given it tends to be a leaner cut of meat). What it does not have, however, is a nice bark - almost like a pastrami more than a Texas Brisket.

I know I simply cannot get around the "smaller size = less time" physics, but does anyone have a few tactics to help with the bark (aside from getting 10lbs more brisket)? Would love to hear the opinions out there, and I will be sure to photo and chronicle the next one I make. Thanks in advance!

Paul
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Re: Smaller (2-3 lb) flat briskets and "bark" - opinion sought

Postby CaptJack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:23 am

your other option is to use a tri-tip instead of brisket
if you smoke it to 195° like brisket
it's called a "trisket"
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:30 am

I must agree with Capt'n there for I have a similar situation with a Wiffy that's not much of a meat eater either. However, I recently did a 3# flat on the Pellet Grill with good results BUT from now on it's Tri-Tip for me (us). :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
flht01
Pilgrim

Postby flht01 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 am

There's only two of us most of the time and I still like to cook a full size packer. I cut it into 4 "chunks" and put 3 of them in the freezer. Each one will weight between 2 and 3 lbs. When I get ready to reheat a frozen chunk, I'll just drop it into a pot of water that's just below a simmer (still in the vacuum seal bag) and within a hour and a half it's ready to slice. So far it's worked out really good.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:38 am

I'm no pro, but I've found letting the brisket sit at room temp for a bit just out of the fridge and rubbing down with some good yellow mustard and next a good rub or spice mix helps ALOT .
I like a good heavy rub but that's my preference.

At least these help my results.

Good luck and make sure to tease us with some good pics :):)
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:44 am

My guess is the foil is foiling your attempt at bark. You might consider going nekid all the way or using butcher paper. Of course, the leaner aspect might require a little help in the form of an injection. Even if you dry one out during the learning curve you'll have some great meat for chili. :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:57 am

All you need to do is change your technique. Instead of wrapping place the flat in a pan and cover with foil to finish. Once the brisket is done let rest still covered for at least two hours in a cooler(just sitting on a towel not wrapped) or oven on warm then uncover and rest down to 165° then either place back on the cooker or in the oven at 275° for about 15 minutes to set the bark.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
flht01
Pilgrim

Postby flht01 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 am

k.a.m. wrote:All you need to do is change your technique. Instead of wrapping place the flat in a pan and cover with foil to finish. Once the brisket is done let rest still covered for at least two hours in a cooler(just sitting on a towel not wrapped) or oven on warm then uncover and rest down to 165° then either place back on the cooker or in the oven at 275° for about 15 minutes to set the bark.

When you go back in the oven for the last 15 minutes to set the bark I'm guessing it stays uncovered?
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:00 pm

A small flat presents a problem in that it could be totally cooked before you've made good bark. Try lowering heat to 225, fat side down and apply salt only right before putting into the smoker. Naked is probably a best way, butcher paper is also an option.
~Aaron
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:12 pm

flht01 wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:All you need to do is change your technique. Instead of wrapping place the flat in a pan and cover with foil to finish. Once the brisket is done let rest still covered for at least two hours in a cooler(just sitting on a towel not wrapped) or oven on warm then uncover and rest down to 165° then either place back on the cooker or in the oven at 275° for about 15 minutes to set the bark.

When you go back in the oven for the last 15 minutes to set the bark I'm guessing it stays uncovered?

Yes this way you set the bark.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Down_South wrote:A small flat presents a problem in that it could be totally cooked before you've made good bark. Try lowering heat to 225, fat side down and apply salt only right before putting into the smoker. Naked is probably a best way, butcher paper is also an option.

Lowering the temps on a prime flat may work but if your cooking a select or sub par choice prolonging the cook time for bark on just a flat may hurt your moisture. Its a balance thing when cooking small cuts. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:57 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
Down_South wrote:A small flat presents a problem in that it could be totally cooked before you've made good bark. Try lowering heat to 225, fat side down and apply salt only right before putting into the smoker. Naked is probably a best way, butcher paper is also an option.

Lowering the temps on a prime flat may work but if your cooking a select or sub par choice prolonging the cook time for bark on just a flat may hurt your moisture. Its a balance thing when cooking small cuts. :D

That's right, a fattier flat helps a lot. A balance is hard to achieve on the smaller flat. A thicker flat is something I always look for whether attached or unattached to the point, fattier or not. its a lot of fun trying to figure this stuff out. When you finally hit on an algorithm that works one time doesn't always work the next.
~Aaron
Paul_in_PVE
Pilgrim

Postby Paul_in_PVE » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:59 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
flht01 wrote:

Yes this way you set the bark.

K.A.M, took your advice with a small and oddly shaped cut of brisket - results were fantastic! Quality bark and pretty darn good tenderness, considering the thin and lean nature of my cut (was slightly dry, but goes with the territory).

I got a very thin and wide 3lb. cut of brisket from Ralph's with a huge, thick fat cap - probably the worst cut I've ever bought, but it was all they had, and they probably thought it was going to be used for pastrami. Did a simply ground pepper and kosher salt rub. The smoking took about 3-4 hours - mostly oak charcoal and a bit of applewood I had laying around. ended up "finishing" by placing in a pan, wrapping with foil, and actually using the oven at 270 or so - didn't feel like wasting good wood when all was needed was heat. Coolered for about 2 hours, laid uncovered in the cooler for about an hour, then back in a 275 oven to set the bark....

My 8-year old ate half of it. That is a good sign....
Attachments
brosket.jpg
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Congratulations Paul the flat looks spot on to me . :D :salut: :cheers: I am glad it worked out for you and next time you cook a whole packer dont be shy use the same technique and let us know how it works. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Nice job with that flat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”