First brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MyPitsStink
Pilgrim

First brisket

Postby MyPitsStink » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:46 am

Hey guys, new to the forum but anytime I've smoked meat have always checked out info here. I'm smoking my first brisket today on my reverse flow. Been maintaining temps between 250-300. I'm concerned with how quick my meat temp went up. I've had her on since 7:15am and it's already 162degrees. I feel like it's Cookin too fast. Thoughts?
MyPitsStink
Pilgrim

Re: First brisket

Postby MyPitsStink » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:20 am

Well, I've held 162 degrees for over an hour now. Im guessing this is the "stall". But I thought it would happen at lower temps. When should I wrap
It?
BobbyQ
Pilgrim

Postby BobbyQ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:42 am

Ideal cooking temp. = 275 degrees. Yes, you are in the stall. A little soon (ideally 6-8 hours into the cook). The stall is 160-170 degrees and should last ~2 hours depending on inside cooker temp. Is your thermometer accurate? Is the size of your brisket pretty much standard (10-12#)?

Wrapping: According to Franklin "When the bark is getting nice and crusty and the color is looking even, remove the brisket from the cooker, spritz, and wrap with butcher paper". Alum. foil will do just fine.

I recommend the book: Franklin Barbecue, A Meat-Smoking Manifesto by Aaron Franklin, the BBQ guru of Austin, Texas. $17.99 at Amazon, free shipping if you are a PRIME member.Applying the knowledge in that book will catapult you light years ahead of the curve when it comes to knowledge about bar-b-q'ing.

How did your 1st brisket turn out?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:56 pm

I usually pan at 165°/170°. I do not wrap I prefer a pan and foil cover.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 pm

MyPitsStink, you will get used to those difference in timings. The one great and frustrating things about brisket is the inconsistencies in the timing of temp movement. I have had a 18# brisket get up to 160 in the first 2.5 hours of the cook. When this happens, dont panic, but take it as a blessing. More than likely you gave yourself 10 hours to cook this piece of meat, and were PROBABLY expecting to be wrapping it around 4 - 6 hours into the cook. NOW you can let that badboy sit in the stall AS LONG AS YOU WANT to get the bark set and even darker and wrap when YOU are ready. I left my last brisket in the stall for over 2 hours until i was happy with the bark :)

Ribs and chicken are a timing game. Brisket and Porkbutt, just let the meat do its thing. Dont sweat the small swings in temp, and remember it makes its OWN timeline.

Good luck out there in the smoke brother.

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:44 pm

rus_bro wrote:Ribs and chicken are a timing game. Brisket and Porkbutt, just let the meat do its thing. Dont sweat the small swings in temp, and remember it makes its OWN timeline.

Good luck out there in the smoke brother.

rb

Excellent advice!!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”