smokin saturday

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

smokin saturday

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:53 pm

I am off tomorrow and have the whole day to myself. I have a nine lb sholder that I will be smoking. if there is enough I will be using sbs competition rub. if not I will have to improvise. this is why I asked about he injections the other day. may the pork gods smile on be.
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Re: smokin saturday

Postby Williep » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Be looking forward to the pic's. :salut:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:20 pm

Good Luck and post'em up when you can :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:16 pm

So I'm getting ready for the but tomorrow I've already got my rub put together and I got an injection that I'm going to try to use sorry sucklebusters I'm saving the competition rub for something else. The injection is grape and apple juice salt and sugar. Now the question is, wrap with foil or not. I am looking for all input.
Czechaholic
Wrangler

Postby Czechaholic » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:05 pm

JustinCouch wrote:So I'm getting ready for the but tomorrow I've already got my rub put together and I got an injection that I'm going to try to use sorry sucklebusters I'm saving the competition rub for something else. The injection is grape and apple juice salt and sugar. Now the question is, wrap with foil or not. I am looking for all input.

I'm a little confused? Are you smoking a pork butt!? If so....yes, wrap after 4-6 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Czechaholic wrote:
JustinCouch wrote:So I'm getting ready for the but tomorrow I've already got my rub put together and I got an injection that I'm going to try to use sorry sucklebusters I'm saving the competition rub for something else. The injection is grape and apple juice salt and sugar. Now the question is, wrap with foil or not. I am looking for all input.

I'm a little confused? Are you smoking a pork butt!? If so....yes,
wrap after 4-6 hours

you wrap when it hits the "STALL"
when the internal temperature doesn't seem to rising as fast as it did to get to 155~160
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Sorry I wasn't more clear about wrapping. I have seen where some wrap and some don't. I cooked at about 250 for about 6 hours and 2 hours wrapped.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm usually so critical of my Cooks but I finally believe I found a way of doing a pulled pork that I like. Here are the ingredients for the rub 4 teaspoons seasoned salt 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar one and one half teaspoon white sugar one and one half teaspoon paprika one quarter teaspoon garlic powder one quarter teaspoon coarse ground pepper 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard 1/8 teaspoon cumin 1/16 teaspoon ground ginger I also did and injection of 1/2 cup apple juice One half cup white grape juice one quarter cup sugar and one and a half tablespoon of salt that is the direct recipe but I doubled everything so Texas dragon if you see this you might want to write this down
Attachments
IMG_20170401_100356.jpg
IMG_20170401_183332.jpg
IMG_20170401_183355.jpg
IMG_20170401_183325.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Awesome Bark and Moisture win win win :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Czechaholic
Wrangler

smokin saturday

Postby Czechaholic » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:48 pm

CaptJack wrote:[quote="Czechaholic"][quote="JustinCouch"]So I'm getting ready for the but tomorrow I've already got my rub put together and I got an injection that I'm going to try to use sorry sucklebusters I'm saving the competition rub for something else. The injection is grape and apple juice salt and sugar. Now the question is, wrap with foil or not. I am looking for all input.

I'm a little confused? Are you smoking a pork butt!? If so....yes,
wrap after 4-6 hours[/quote]
you wrap when it hits the "STALL"
when the internal temperature doesn't seem to rising as fast as it did to get to 155~160[/quote]
I know what the stall is.....doesn't mean you have to wait and wrap when the stall hits or even wrap at all....

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Nicely done Justin. OUP nailed it when he said nice bark and moisture!

jamey.smart
Pilgrim

Postby jamey.smart » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Great job Justin! It looks great!!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”