Getting the smoke into salmon

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

4rdaddy
Pilgrim

Getting the smoke into salmon

Postby 4rdaddy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 pm

My salmon always turns out really good but the smoke flavor is always extremely subtle. I've had it out at restaurants at a couple different places and it has a great strong smoke flavor but I can't seem to replicate it. I use Hickory when I smoke. Any help would be appreciated.
bondobill
Outlaw

Re: Getting the smoke into salmon

Postby bondobill » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi 4rdaddy

First question... how and what you smoking in :?:

Bill
4rdaddy
Pilgrim

Postby 4rdaddy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm

bondobill wrote:Hi 4rdaddy

First question... how and what you smoking in :?:

Bill

Thanks for replying.

I use a UDS to smoke. I typically dry brine the meat for 3-6 hrs before I put it on the smoker. Again, I use Hickory at 225 deg. And leave it on until it flakes good, usually about 1.5 hrs. I use a bit of lemon and dill as seasoning. It is always very tasty, but doesn't have much of a smoke flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:00 pm

I've never used a UDS so I ain't much help there.
Im surprised your not getting much smoke flavor using hickory. I don't use hickory...little strong in MO for fish.
If you can try getting your smoker between 180 and 200. I never bbq Salmon above 200 degrees in smoker. Try using chunks of apple or cherry wood. Sounds like you maybe need to smoke it a little longer.
When I BBQ Salmon I keep heat at 200 in BBQ. Use cherry chunks and normally take 3 to 4 hours to get a IT of 135 to 140 in the salmon.

What we call Real smoked Salmon here in the PNW is brined any where from 24-48 hours then smoked in a smoker for 12-18 hours maintaining a temp in smoker of no more the 130 degrees max....we call this hot smoking. Cold smoking is a whole nuther ball game

Bill

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”