Best Ever Brsket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Best Ever Brsket

Postby Chasdev » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm

No problem, glad to help you understand my previous post.
The key difference is that using charcoal, lump or otherwise, in a stick burner without adding wood to create smoke to me results in flavorless meat or less flavor in the meat than wood coals and burning wood produce.
My (as yet incomplete) understanding of kamado cookers is that you DO add some wood to the charcoal, so lump or brickette, you get wood smoke flavor but because of the restricted airflow the temp is prevented from running too high without the negative effect of "dirty smoke" that can happen in a stick burner with restricted intake flow.
I got more if you need more clarification.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Chasdev wrote:No problem, glad to help you understand my previous post.
The key difference is that using charcoal, lump or otherwise, in a stick burner without adding wood to create smoke to me results in flavorless meat or less flavor in the meat than wood coals and burning wood produce.
My (as yet incomplete) understanding of kamado cookers is that you DO add some wood to the charcoal, so lump or brickette, you get wood smoke flavor but because of the restricted airflow the temp is prevented from running too high without the negative effect of "dirty smoke" that can happen in a stick burner with restricted intake flow.
I got more if you need more clarification.

You can get dirty smoke in any upright it is one of the most discussed subjects on a lot of forums. Knowing how to manage your fire is the key to all cookers.
In your stick burner you can add a chimney of lit lump and a half split and your'e good you would not know the difference in just burning wood.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

To me it seems like apples and oranges..starting a hardwood charcoal lump fire with wood on top or mixed in with the charcoal, then closing the lid and setting the vents so tight that the original charcoal/wood burns for 16 hours (and then 4 more for a rib cook) without adding fuel is not the same as adding burning coals and a piece of oak to a stick burner set with an open cook chamber door and a wide open exhaust.
The stick burner has to have substantial heat from the coals and fresh air coming in to burn the new wood or the smoke gets sour, but the Kamado thrives with next to no air in or out, or at least that's my interpretation of how the Kamado runs..
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Chasdev,
These ( kamado ) style cookers will definitely chug along for long periods of time for sure with very little air coming into the bottom vent. They are insulated extremely well, another reason you can go 12 + hrs without adding any lump.
Imo you really can't go wrong with one, but I admit I'm partial to mine.

Good luck if you purchase one, just make sure you check it for air leaks. If u don't, and u have some leaks, u will lose ur mind in a nano second lol !
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:45 am

I may have found a great deal on the 24 inch version sold by Costo, I know it won't be a good as a BGE or other higher end brands but at $485 delivered to my door, I may have to jump in..
The mere idea of cooking overnight AND getting some sleep is drawing me like a fly to..well you know.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Best Ever Brsket

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:59 am

Chasdev wrote:I may have found a great deal on the 24 inch version sold by Costo, I know it won't be a good as a BGE or other higher end brands but at $485 delivered to my door, I may have to jump in..
The mere idea of cooking overnight AND getting some sleep is drawing me like a fly to..well you know.

Just because it's only that price doesn't mean it's not good.
I paid 269 for mine about 2 years ago and it's still like new and cooks/bakes/smokes just as good as anything imho..
Will it last 20 years ??
Most likely No, but for under 300$ it works for me.

I highly suggest that you get to know that kamado like the back of ur hand BEFORE you trust it overnight while u sleep.
They have a big learning curve and could very well go from 250 to 700 degrees before u know it if you have any air leaks.

Congrats, you will Love it.
Hope we get to see some pics and grub soon.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:50 am

Chasdev wrote:I need to go look at one to see how much it takes to fill it up.
Which Primo do you have?

I have the Jack Daniels Primo XL. Love it. Love my pellet pooper as well for ease of use. Love my stick burner, but I have to be willing to feed the beast.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:03 am

Well THAT deal turned out to be a false alarm..seller faded like mist at sunrise...email address turned into a dead link..
I think they had one for sale at that price and got a gozillion "I'll take it" emails all at once...
I did get the chance to read a ton of stuff about Kamado cookers so if another pops up I already have some research under my belt..
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: RE: Re: Best Ever Brsket

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 am

woodenvisions wrote:I highly suggest that you get to know that kamado like the back of ur hand BEFORE you trust it overnight while u sleep.
They have a big learning curve and could very well go from 250 to 700 degrees before u know it if you have any air leaks.

These are words of wisdom. I use the DigiQ DX2 on mine, which really helps, but it has its own learning curve. I like to mix wood chunks in with the lump. Gives a steady blue smoke. I keep apple, cherry, hickory, mesquite, peach, and pecan chunks on hand.

Another thing I love about the ceramic is that you can easily get it up to 600F and make great pizzas or tart flambés. Don't go much over 600F or the felt can come loose from the cooker -- ask me how I know. :oops: :oops:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Best Ever Brsket

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:33 pm

.[/quote]

Another thing I love about the ceramic is that you can easily get it up to 600F and make great pizzas or tart flambés. Don't go much over 600F or the felt can come loose from the cooker -- ask me how I know. :oops: :oops:[/quote]

I must admit I've made some ( felt glue ) melt myself lol. It's a smell you will always recognize after you've done it once :oops: :oops: :oops:

As far as Pizzas, nobody will ever, I mean ever convince me of a better way of making them other than a kamado.
I used to live in North Jersey, near NYC, the pizza, bagel and diner capital of the united States and I've had some amazing pizza in my day, but kamado pizzas on a good seasoned stone are second to none in my book.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Well, I just found another Pit Boss 24 inch, this one is model 71241 supposed to not be in the stores yet, shipped to the seller direct from Pit Boss as a prize.
It's $650 out the door, no tax..so not too shabby price wise.
Now to order some of the goodies I bookmarked yesterday and some insulating tape to seal the vents..
Is the heat deflector mandatory for ribs/brisket?
And I can't wait to toast me some pizzas!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:02 pm

First, congrats u won't be disappointed. As for the deflector, I'm not familiar with accessories for the pit boss, but I can almost guarantee you should have a deflector as rule of thumb.
For sealing tape, Nomex is always a good type.

Remember to heat ur pizza stone slowly, not to ( shock ) it by throwing a cool stone over that high heat. It can very well crack easily from that.

Can't wait to see pics.

By the way, Semolina will be ur best friend between a hot stone and room temp pizza dough
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:59 pm

that's beautiful
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am

woodenvisions wrote:First, congrats u won't be disappointed. As for the deflector, I'm not familiar with accessories for the pit boss, but I can almost guarantee you should have a deflector as rule of thumb.
For sealing tape, Nomex is always a good type.

Remember to heat ur pizza stone slowly, not to ( shock ) it by throwing a cool stone over that high heat. It can very well crack easily from that.

Can't wait to see pics.

By the way, Semolina will be ur best friend between a hot stone and room temp pizza dough

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon May 15, 2017 4:59 pm

I just copied what you did and it came out great!
My family says best brisket ever.. the tenderness was way beyond anything I can do on a stickburner...
Attachments
DSC01883.JPG
DSC01880.JPG
DSC01881.JPG

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”