Difference temps with thermometers

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Difference temps with thermometers

Postby eets-a-lot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:40 pm

I have a fairly new River Country thermometer on my WSM. I use a fairly new Smoke thermometer. I have a difference of 35-50 degrees between the two when the temp is static. I am shooting for 225 degrees for a brisket smoke. When the River Country shows 225-230, the Smoke reads as much as
280 degrees. I have tried the ice water and boiling water calibrate test on both and each is fairly close to right, but when they are on the smoker and hooked up to the smoker the difference might be as much as 50 degrees with the River Country showing close to 225-230 degrees and Smoke 50 degrees higher. How can I figure out which is accurate? I would appreciate any comments on my problem!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Difference temps with thermometers

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Can you do an oven test? Sometimes ovens aren't a possibility but I would sure do one if I could. My thoughts are that it's the locations that are giving you different readings but maybe not. :dont: Good Luck
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:37 pm

The smoke is digital I am guessing. I would bet it is correct and the river country is off. Boil some water and put the probes only in the water to check for accuracy. There is also a chance if you are running a dry pan the smoke on the grate is reading higher than the top of the dome. I would go by grate temp that is where you are cooking at.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Postby eets-a-lot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Can you do an oven test? Sometimes ovens aren't a possibility but I would sure do one if I could. My thoughts are that it's the locations that are giving you different readings but maybe not. :dont: Good Luck

I haven't thought about the oven but I can do that. It is a few months old and should be very accurate based on what I had to pay for it. Thanx for the idea. I will try it.
eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Postby eets-a-lot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

k.a.m. wrote:The smoke is digital I am guessing. I would bet it is correct and the river country is off. Boil some water and put the probes only in the water to check for accuracy. There is also a chance if you are running a dry pan the smoke on the grate is reading higher than the top of the dome. I would go by grate temp that is where you are cooking at.

I think you are right based on the short time it took the smoker to get the brisket to 160 degrees. Smoke was showing close to 300 degrees in the beginning of the cook while the river country showed 250 degrees. I'm thinking the brisket came out a little tough because of the quick cook time.
I will continue experimenting but I think you are right.... "the grate temp registered on the Smoke" is right. Thanx for your response.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 am

eets-a-lot wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Can you do an oven test? Sometimes ovens aren't a possibility but I would sure do one if I could. My thoughts are that it's the locations that are giving you different readings but maybe not. :dont: Good Luck

I haven't thought about the oven but I can do that. It is a few months old and should be very accurate based on what I had to pay for it. Thanx for the idea. I will try it.

Three years ago I bought a fancy new electric stove/oven and later found the oven temps were off by 50 degrees, when my wife's cakes took too long to cook.
Luckily it's a digital model and there was a provision for adjusting/correcting oven temp readings and oven temps to make them the same.
My digital BBQ temp gauges came in handy but the other way around!
eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Postby eets-a-lot » Wed May 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanx Chasdev for posting on my topic. I think I have the problems resolved. I decided that the "Smoke" temp was correct and am using it for any other smokes. I got all thermometers calibrated and are now reading within 2-3 degrees. I can live with that. I use the grate probe from the Smoke
to get my meats to the proper temps and every thing is coming out fine.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”