Keep brisket fresh. [Update: Brisket is fine]

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Hugart
Pilgrim

Keep brisket fresh. [Update: Brisket is fine]

Postby Hugart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 am

Hello!

I'm totally new here and need help with my brisket. I bought a brisket today (I'm from Sweden, it's mid day here now) and the butcher took it out from its vacuum package. The reason was because I intended to buy a smaller piece, but ended up buying the whole piece anyway.

So, I have an 11 pound brisket wrapped in plastic and because of changed plans I can't smoke it until saturday night, approximately 60 hours.

I don't know what to do. Should I keep it in plastic wrap, let it breathe with a towel or something over it or freeze it? I definately don't want to freeze it but if I rather do it than ruin the brisket.

Thank you!
Last edited by Hugart on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugart
Pilgrim

Re: Keep brisket fresh.

Postby Hugart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:51 am

Btw, fridge is at 3 degrees C, 37.4 F. As low as she gets.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 am

just ?guessing? but you should be alright keeping it in the frigerator - - - would have been nice to still have the cryovac in tact but that's hind sight ain't it? - - - you might consider wrapping it in plastic wrap and putting in the freezer until you hear from one of the members who are much more knowledgeable than I am - - - - good luck :tup: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 am

OldUsedParts wrote:just ?guessing? but you should be alright keeping it in the frigerator - - - would have been nice to still have the cryovac in tact but that's hind sight ain't it? - - - you might consider wrapping it in plastic wrap and putting in the freezer until you hear from one of the members who are much more knowledgeable than I am - - - - good luck :tup: :dont:

Yeah, I hope it's alright. I'm keeping it in the fridge wrapped in the plastic that the butcher wrapped it in until someone who is sure tells me otherwise. I don't want to mess with it too much.

I'm a bit worried that i spent $100 on a brisket that will go bad. And I have guests coming who expect some bbq. darn me and my bad planning :(

Darn? Ok it's family friendly ;)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 am

I hope you realize that a lot of folks, understandably, don't want to stick their necks out on something like this posted on the internet because they don't want to be the "untended" cause for people getting sick - - - especially since they can't witness it first hand - - - - do you happen to have the expiration (or use by) date - or did it disappear like the cryovac wrapper ?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I hope you realize that a lot of folks, understandably, don't want to stick their necks out on something like this posted on the internet because they don't want to be the "untended" cause for people getting sick - - - especially since they can't witness it first hand - - - - do you happen to have the expiration (or use by) date - or did it disappear like the cryovac wrapper ?

I don't have an expiration date.

I'm just wondering about the best way to store it for 60 hours. If it's bad by then I'll notice it, and I'm not gonna serve anything that's suspicuous. I simply want some tips on how to keep the meat fresh with the least possibilities for it to go bad. Or if someone has any experience with a similar case and know that it's better to freeze it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:28 am

my thoughts would to put it in the freezer now and ?hopefully? someone with more experience will offer you a suggestion - - - then ?IF? no one does you can put it in the frig sometime Friday and hopefully it will defrost by grill time - - - that's my best $.02 :dont:
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am

OldUsedParts wrote:my thoughts would to put it in the freezer now and ?hopefully? someone with more experience will offer you a suggestion - - - then ?IF? no one does you can put it in the frig sometime Friday and hopefully it will defrost by grill time - - - that's my best $.02 :dont:

Thank you for you input!
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Ok, I got hold of a friends friends friends friend or something that works with meat. He said that it shouldn't be a problem to store it in the fridge until saturday. Best thing according to him was apparently to place it on a grate with a clean cloth on top. This will drie the surface a bit and reduce bacteria growth. I'm gonna trie this and see what happens. If all goes well I can post some pictures here.

Thank you for your help!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:49 pm

If your fridge is at 34° and the brisket is wrapped in plastic wrap you will be fine till Saturday night. Keep it below 40° and try to not let anything rest against it.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Swamptrout
Pilgrim

Postby Swamptrout » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Hugart wrote:Ok, I got hold of a friends friends friends friend or something that works with meat. He said that it shouldn't be a problem to store it in the fridge until saturday. Best thing according to him was apparently to place it on a grate with a clean cloth on top. This will drie the surface a bit and reduce bacteria growth. I'm gonna trie this and see what happens. If all goes well I can post some pictures here.

Thank you for your help!

A little late but this would of been my recommendation. A bit of dry aged brisket wouldn't hurt anybody.
Some of these top steak houses dry aged meat for 200+ days without any hassles.

the key is on a rack up off the plate so the bottom of the meat can breathe. its the meat sweating which sends it off. look forward to the pics.
My obsessions - cooking, grilling, burning, smoking.
My possessions - GMG DB, Akorn, Hark Roti, Ziggy Triple, Viva Multi Cooker.
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:11 pm

A little update on this matter. The brisket was kept on a rack to breathe with a cloth on top just to keep various particles from falling down on the surface. It looks and smells just fine :D I'm throwing it on to the cooker later tonight. Since this is my first brisket I don't really know how long it will take. The biggest piece I have cooked previous is a 4.5 lb pork butt, so an 11 lb brisket is totally new to me. I'm planning to keep it around 250 and counting on ~12-14 hours. Do you guys think that's a reasonable time estimation?

I'm preparing some sides right now. Potatoes and onions seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic are on the grill with a little hickory wood. This is gonna go in a grilled potato sallad :D

Rub for the brisket: Pepper, salt, paprika, garlic.

More pictures coming eventually. Cheers! 8)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Keep brisket fresh. [Update: Brisket is fine]

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Sounds like a plan to me, altho I am "not" a brisket cooker. However, if your brisket turns out anything like the fixins for that tater salad then you probably won't have very much leftovers :laughing7: :tup: :salut: :cheers:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:45 pm

OH, thanks for the update :tup:
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:20 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Sounds like a plan to me, altho I am "not" a brisket cooker. However, if your brisket turns out anything like the fixins for that tater salad then you probably won't have very much leftovers :laughing7: :tup: :salut: :cheers:

Thank you :D And I just learned a new slang; 'tater salad' :tup:

Some more pics on the side preps.

Diced grilled potatoes, onions and bacon.

All dressed in a dressing of mayo, creme fraiche, vinegar, bell peppers, parsley and red onions.

Coleslaw

And this is how I prep my grill for smoking.

Don't really like to use briquettes, but it's hard as it is to keep a steady temp in a grill, so this is what I use.

In a few hours the brisket will go on the cooker. Probably I'll sleep a few hours before then and light it around 3-4 am. It's 9.30 pm here right now.

Oh, and some fun fact for you Americans. On monday it's Sweden's and other part of Europe's equivalent to your 'Labour Day'. I don't really like the idea of that, but that's a discussion for another thread. It's a holiday on monday so that's why I have a BBQ-party tomorrow. Also, in Sweden and some parts of Finland (maybe more places, i don't know) we gather and watch a big fire and fireworks together tomorrow. Just a fun fact for y'all :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”