Keep brisket fresh. [Update: Brisket is fine]

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Keep brisket fresh. [Update: Brisket is fine]

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Very interesting set up for the Brisket Cook. :chef:

Just so you now - - - "I" can butcher the "English Language" worse than any ferriner (aka Foreigner) so just blame it on me if someone says "where'd da heck you lernt dat word" :laughing7: :D :lol:

I'm like'n that Coleslaw big time - - - mind sharin that recipe ?

FWIW, we've got over 4 months until our Labor Day but we have Memorial Day and July Fourth to celebrate during those months. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:25 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Very interesting set up for the Brisket Cook. :chef:

Just so you now - - - "I" can butcher the "English Language" worse than any ferriner (aka Foreigner) so just blame it on me if someone says "where'd da heck you lernt dat word" :laughing7: :D :lol:

I'm like'n that Coleslaw big time - - - mind sharin that recipe ?

FWIW, we've got over 4 months until our Labor Day but we have Memorial Day and July Fourth to celebrate during those months. :tup:

Haha, you crack me up with the language :D :laughing7:

The setup actually works good foor long cooks in grills. I just light one end and adjust the vents to the right temperature. I can go about 4 hours without filling up.

The coleslaw is nothing fancy, although I like to use what we here call 'pointy cabbage' instead of regular white cabbage. I tried to find a translation but I can't really find one. It looks like this:

It's a bit thinner that the regular cabbage and gives it a less dense feel. This cabbage isn't as sweet so that's why I shred in some carrots. When I serve it to a fatty piece of meat I like to keep down on the mayonnaise so I dress it lightly. 2 parts sourcreme, 1 part mayonnaise, chop in some parsley and season to taste with salt, black pepper and vinegar or lemon. It's kind of light and feels fresh to fat food, even if it's not :D

I actually spent last labor weekend in Texas. The Sunday I spent in a really sketchy bar in San Antonio and the monday I ate at Smitty's Market in Lockhart. We did'nt think it was gonna be open but it was. They had super awesome sausages. Tuesday was Franklin's day. I fell in love!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:41 pm

thanks - - that reminds me of a brussel sprout :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Haha yeah, maybe. But it doesn't taste anything like it though. It's just like a less dense version of white cabbage. Sometimes we also call it Spanish cabbage, if you're on the lookout. They're as big as regular cabbage. No brussel sprouts size here ;)
Last edited by Hugart on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:50 pm

-
Last edited by Hugart on Mon May 01, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:48 pm

The brisket. A little to little fat maybe. I don't know why they trimmed of that but what to do.

Now I'm gonna sleep a few hours and then light a fira :D
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:26 pm

A few hours later, at 4.30. Brisket is on.

This is nice! Birds are chirping, sun is rising, music is playing, smoke is smoking and beer is beering :D
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:37 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Can't get much better. Maybe a few more degrees and I would be totally satisfied. 25 isn't optimal :mrgreen: But hey, sun is rising!

Edit: Veeeery slowly :|
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 pm

Any idea what year your kettle was made? That's a beauty. Don't see many white ones.

Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:32 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Any idea what year your kettle was made? That's a beauty. Don't see many white ones.

Thank you, but it isn't white actually. It's just bad lighting, I think the color is called lemongrass. Bought it around 2010 if I remember it right.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:19 am

Looks like you're well into the fourth quarter and have a daggone good lead - - - also notice you have those keg shoes hanging properly so your luck won't run out. :tup: :salut:
Hugart
Pilgrim

Postby Hugart » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:59 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Looks like you're well into the fourth quarter and have a daggone good lead - - - also notice you have those keg shoes hanging properly so your luck won't run out. :tup: :salut:

Yeah, it's good that I had a daggone good lead :D . I learn something new everytime you write, 'daggone' and 'keg shoes'. Please keep using as much of these words as you can everytime you responde to me :D

---

BBQ was great. The cook took ~16 hours to be probe tender at about 205. I kept the kettle at about 210 - 250 all the time. It was alot of work keeping it steady for this long time, but it worked. I'm just going to sleep now after a really succesful serving. Everybody just threw themselves over the meat and the sides, so I don't even have any leftovers :( :D Being my own critic I can say that I'm happy with my first brisket cook but it could of course be better. The lean was a bit too dry but the moist was just magical ,also there was some lack of smoke.

I forgot to keep the surface moist during the smoking for some reason, can this be a reason for the lack of smoke? Because believe me, there was smoke in the kettle. I used hickory btw.

I'm really upset with myself for not taking more pictures. Everybody were so hungry when I sliced it so I didn't get time to tace pictures, and in no time it was gone. I'm gonna ask some of the guests tomorrow if they ave any pics.

This is the only one I got, just before slicing.

Oh well, I just found this on my firends facebook page.

Now I've been awake for 27 hours and I'm gonna sleep as long. Good night!
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:24 pm

Nothing wrong with that brisket. Looks good.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:00 am

Looks good to me. The smoke seems to "stick" better when you keep the brisket moist. I've noticed a difference when I spritz vs not. I use Worcestershire, water and Valentina's hot sauce.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”