Baby back ribs

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Baby back ribs

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:17 pm

This is the last straw. I can't cook ribs anymore. I got the best looking rack I could find, used my go to butt rub mixture and a fruit juice spritz. I just can't do them right. This is like the 5th rack I have not liked. I've said this before but next rack will just have salt and pepper.
Attachments
IMG_20170429_191441.jpg
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Baby back ribs

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Nothing wrong with changing up your flavors. Our taste buds tend to change from time to time. As long as you're cooking them to your liking (doneness) it's just a matter of finding your taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Mon May 01, 2017 5:30 am

bsooner75 wrote:Nothing wrong with changing up your flavors. Our taste buds tend to change from time to time. As long as you're cooking them to your liking (doneness) it's just a matter of finding your taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 am

Hang in There, Justin, no need to quit cooking one of the "BEST" Oink Parts there is. Do you mind telling us what you are doing or have done for the last 5 times and maybe someone can offer you a easy and decent idea ? :dont: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon May 01, 2017 7:16 am

Seasoned with a mixture of season salt,garlic salt,cumin, paprika,dry mustard, ground ginger,brown and white sugar. Spritz was apple and grape juice with diluted salt and sugar. If you do a search on ground ginger here you will find my exact ratio. I think one of the main things I have to do is block some if the direct heat I'm getting from the uds. That might be effecting the flavor.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 01, 2017 8:06 am

They LOOK good to me...what don't you like about the flavor?
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 01, 2017 9:04 am

OK, Justin, I'm not saying that "THIS" is the way to do ribs, it's just the way I do them. First of all I try and keep the temps on either side of 225 until the last 30 to 45 minutes. I rub my ribs with Honey Mustard the night before and let them sit in the frig then I sprinkle with either SB's Hootchie Mama or Williams Food Co. Rib Tickler - depending on who's dining with me :D . I spritz with plain apple juice every hour and after 3 hours I spritz and wrap with foil - - - then I try and keep the temp as close to 225 for 2 hours. Unwrap, spritz and lather with either SB's Chipotle Sauce or their Honey BBQ sauce (once again, if the wiffy and ?some? company are dining, I'll keep the hot spicy to a minimum). Cook them another 30 to 45 minutes between 250 and 300, lathering with sauce just before taking them off. All of this is just the individual's preference BUT I also had rather cook spares or st. louis ribs than baby back. JMHO :dont:

Last but not least, my wiffy likes her ribs with the meat falling off of the bone - - - - I DO NOT and since I'M COOKING, I try to keep them just easy to pull off OR chew off the bones. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 pm

One more thing, if I may, Mr. Justin - - - - I only use one of two cookers when I do ribs, Pellet grill or ECB/Charcoal - - - on the Pellet Grill I use Apple Pellets and when I use the ECB and Kingsford Charcoal I throw on some pre-soaked Apple, Mesquite or Hickory Chips but Apple wood is my Fav for Oink Ribs. BTW, using a rib rack and standing them on their sides works just fine.

F.W.I.W. - - - I really prefer the Pellet Grill on Bones because of the accuracy and non-maintence of a Low and Slow cook. Especially once I learned how to get the smoke flavor so you couldn't tell the difference.

IMG-2.JPG
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Mon May 01, 2017 8:13 pm

I started out rubbing my ribs too Justin, then I found myself trying keep tweeking the rub to get them just right, then screwing with the foil and spritzing, ugghhhhh. I finally just started salt/pepper/marinade/sauce and have not looked back. Don't get me wrong, they would probably never get a second look at a Comp, but I'm eating them, not trying to win a trophy with them. It was one less thing to worry about which allowed me to nail down the actual cooking part and getting the same results cook after cook like clockwork.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon May 01, 2017 8:44 pm

I like what you said mrxlh. I will try that next time. Many the rub is just good for butts. Btw does your profile name have anything to do with Sportsters?
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 am

Seems the rub is getting a little complicated and the spritzing with multiple juices seems like you are getting overly creative with flavors. Sounds like you need to simplify your flavors. Get a decent rub (maybe MeatChurch HoneyHog) or go with a simple pork rub (BrownSugar, salt, pepper, garlic, chilipowder), spritz with apple juice, sauce with something out of a bottle.

Bring it back to the basics and see if you still like ribs. IF you dont still hate them, you start adjusting the simple recipe to something more customized.

Then again, i have a friend that smokes ribs basically Salt/Pepper and everytime i have them i fall in love again. Im wrapping, buttering, saucing, sugaring and enjoying mine.. he does almost NOTHING and they are AMAZING ribs.

Just random thoughts
rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
bbqrubs USER_AVATAR
bbqrubs
Pilgrim

Postby bbqrubs » Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Meatchurch honey hog is a great choice for baby back ribs. I'm still using Bone Suckin' sauce BBQ Rub, I really like the citric kick it has.
Sol - Proprietor of BBQRubs.com
https://www.bbqrubs.com

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”