brisket tastes too smokey

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: brisket tastes too smokey

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 02, 2017 7:11 am

woodvette wrote:i am not sure how long the oak has been drying. the smoke was white and there was quite a bit of it throughout the whole cooking. i had the chimney full open and the intake was hardly open at all so i could get the temp regulated around 275. i did have several pieces of the oak in the firebox at once. reason i did was was to try keeping it burning for a long time. so maybe i did not have enough air flow? and too much wood at once?
thanks.

It sounds like you were cooking with fire instead of a good coal base. Learning fire management will be the key to success on a stick burner.
1.) Find out where the cooker likes to run without fight it.
2.) learn when to add a piece of wood to maintain a clean fire and not lose your coal base.
Example: My big Cooker runs between 250° and 275°. At 260° I am adding a split the temps will continue to drop to around 250° then once the split catches will climb to about 275° this process takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
No cooker is the same they all require learning. If you have as much white smoke coming out around your doors as you do your exhaust you could have drafting issues what are you cooking on?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
woodvette
Pilgrim

Postby woodvette » Fri May 05, 2017 6:56 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:Is your oak seasoned?

just found out the oak i used was only cut last month! i will get new wood and go at it again. thanks everyone.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 05, 2017 7:21 am

woodvette wrote:

just found out the oak i used was only cut last month! i will get new wood and go at it again. thanks everyone.

thanks for the follow up - - good luck :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:22 am

:shock:

Get as much of it as you can, and stack it on a rack or via some other method, 4-6 inches off the ground in an out of the way location where it will get some good air circulation. Then let it sit. For a while. You'll know when it's ready because if you pick up a split, it will feel dramatically lighter than you would otherwise expect. Visual clues will be cracks developing at the ends of the splits.

Good luck, and, most importantly, don't give up! One of my favorite things about the bbq experience is learning how to properly tend a fire. It's applicable in many other areas.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
RogerWilco
Pilgrim

Postby RogerWilco » Sat May 06, 2017 7:41 pm

woodvette wrote:

That might very well be a large part of your problem, but please remember the other suggestions are all still valid. Taken together, you'll be turning out exactly what you hope for, in no time.
woodvette
Pilgrim

Postby woodvette » Mon May 08, 2017 6:47 am

did a lot better this weekend with some ribs. used apple wood i knew was dry for quite some time. got a smoke ring and good flavor. able to regulate heat pretty good. thanks.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 08, 2017 6:51 am

way to go - - - - that's what it's all about after all, ain't it :?: :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Tue May 30, 2017 8:20 pm

woodvette wrote:i am not sure how long the oak has been drying. the smoke was white and there was quite a bit of it throughout the whole cooking.

There's your problem right there.
dummy que
Pilgrim

Postby dummy que » Wed May 31, 2017 8:59 pm

woodvette wrote:i am not sure how long the oak has been drying. the smoke was white and there was quite a bit of it throughout the whole cooking. i had the chimney full open and the intake was hardly open at all so i could get the temp regulated around 275. i did have several pieces of the oak in the firebox at once. reason i did was was to try keeping it burning for a long time. so maybe i did not have enough air flow? and too much wood at once?
thanks.

BINGO !!!
LANG 60,BUD,AND A WHOLE PILE OF WORNOUT CHARGRILLER HORZ life is good sharp knifes,fire,and meat .

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”