Need help smoking brisket!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

srt92
Pilgrim

Need help smoking brisket!

Postby srt92 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 am

Before i begin, im a begginer at this, so you might hear some things that dont nake sense. I have been practicing this but its kinda tricky. I have a standard grill, no smoker or anything just the ones you can get at your local walmart for like 40 bucks or so lol. so I didn't have alot space to work with as far for coals, wood, and water pan. I did some research and I'm confused as to how much coal and wood I should use and how often to keep adding wood and coals if I correct. some say it's not good to use too much wood because that will ruin the flavor, but I mean I have to keep adding wood. Anyway, during the process of me cooking, the pit kept building up with ashes...I had to empty the entire pit, and start over again, yes a total nightmare, and I started in the evening and it was getting too late, so I shut everything down, and continued the process in the oven which is what I'm trying to avoid. Any suggestions? I marinated my meat the night before, and used a bbq rub. also had the same issue with baby back ribs as well.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Need help smoking brisket!

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 04, 2017 7:19 am

Welcome to the Forum :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu May 04, 2017 7:24 am

Hey there, you should get many helpful replies on this, but I'll just give you mo.
I would personally use more coals over your wood ratio, especially if it's a smaller cooking area. As for too much ash, I would ( try ) lump charcoal. Some people don't like it and some do for multiple reasons, but it's just a ( Fact ) that you will get wayyyyy less ash with lump. Some say it burns hotter and longer as I believe, some feel the opposite but I've Never found anyone that disagrees with it producing less ash.
I would try lump and after you hit ur target temp, add ur wood. Chips or chunks, don't use too much until u get ur smoke/flavor to where you want it.

Good luck and we all like pics here, good and bad :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu May 04, 2017 8:10 am

It would help if we knew what exactly you are cooking on. Is it a round kettle like a Weber or is it a square grill like a Meco?
Either way you can use charcoal in a snake setup and have chunks placed in the coals about every 4". You arent going to be cooking a large cut on a grill so the snake method should be plenty of coals to finish off a small flat. Using lump in a snake burn is ok if you pay attention to the placement so as not to get any bridging in the chunks of lump.
Something like this.
landscape-1464294955-snake1.jpg
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
srt92
Pilgrim

Postby srt92 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:12 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Welcome to the Forum :salut:

Thank you, glad to be here.
srt92
Pilgrim

Postby srt92 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:14 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Hey there, you should get many helpful replies on this, but I'll just give you mo.
I would personally use more coals over your wood ratio, especially if it's a smaller cooking area. As for too much ash, I would ( try ) lump charcoal. Some people don't like it and some do for multiple reasons, but it's just a ( Fact ) that you will get wayyyyy less ash with lump. Some say it burns hotter and longer as I believe, some feel the opposite but I've Never found anyone that disagrees with it producing less ash.
I would try lump and after you hit ur target temp, add ur wood. Chips or chunks, don't use too much until u get ur smoke/flavor to where you want it.

Sure pics will be posted soon.
srt92
Pilgrim

Postby srt92 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:16 pm

k.a.m. wrote:It would help if we knew what exactly you are cooking on. Is it a round kettle like a Weber or is it a square grill like a Meco?
Either way you can use charcoal in a snake setup and have chunks placed in the coals about every 4". You arent going to be cooking a large cut on a grill so the snake method should be plenty of coals to finish off a small flat. Using lump in a snake burn is ok if you pay attention to the placement so as not to get any bridging in the chunks of lump.
Something like this.
landscape-1464294955-snake1.jpg

Exactly, it's a square pit. Will post pics soon.
srt92
Pilgrim

Postby srt92 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 pm

srt92 wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:Hey there, you should get many helpful replies on this, but I'll just give you mo.

Sure pics will be posted soon.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”