First competition

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

matt USER_AVATAR
Matt
Rustler

Re: First competition

Postby Matt » Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 pm

rus_bro wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
Ranchertx wrote:Congrats on the good job!

I am more and more convinced now that in most IBCA comps, taste is by far the most important thing, and tenderness and appearance much less!

Appearance is always a plus in my opinion because when the judge opens the box their first impression is hard to wipe from their memory. As far as tenderness the judges use a cheap knife and fork to cut the meat. If your product is tough they have to fight it and frustration will sometimes get you a low score.

I learned that in my LoneStar Association cookoff. I took the KCBS Cirt Judging class and all tasting is done with the hands and bites. For this event i was told that its all done with a knife and fork so everything should be EXTRA tender meaning a little overcooked for my liking. GO FIGURE.

CONGRATS on the walk.

rb

Thanks. We were surprised to hear about the plastic silverware and talked ourselves into cooking the ribs til they fell off the bone, came in dead last! :banghead:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu May 11, 2017 5:46 am

Matt wrote:
rus_bro wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

I am more and more convinced now that in most IBCA comps, taste is by far the most important thing, and tenderness and appearance much less!

Appearance is always a plus in my opinion because when the judge opens the box their first impression is hard to wipe from their memory. As far as tenderness the judges use a cheap knife and fork to cut the meat. If your product is tough they have to fight it and frustration will sometimes get you a low score.

I learned that in my LoneStar Association cookoff. I took the KCBS Cirt Judging class and all tasting is done with the hands and bites. For this event i was told that its all done with a knife and fork so everything should be EXTRA tender meaning a little overcooked for my liking. GO FIGURE.

CONGRATS on the walk.

rb

Thanks. We were surprised to hear about the plastic silverware and talked ourselves into cooking the ribs til they fell off the bone, came in dead last! :banghead:

Brad is a good judge.
It happens it is the nature of the beast one weekend you're the dog the next weekend your the fire hydrant lol.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
matt USER_AVATAR
Matt
Rustler

Postby Matt » Thu May 11, 2017 9:33 am

Brad was great, spent a lot of time with us talking about his experiences over the years in comp cooking. Warm and appreciated welcome for some newbs!
Ranchertx
Pilgrim

Postby Ranchertx » Thu May 11, 2017 2:24 pm

Matt wrote:
rus_bro wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

CONGRATS on the walk.

rb

It happens. I saw a very much under cooked rib entry get a walk the other day and our box didn't get a call. The difference was the tough one had more salt and a little more red pepper. One bite with a plastic fork did us in, but, I promise you would not sit own and eat 4-5 of those tough bones unless you had plenty of floss available.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Matt wrote:Brad was great, spent a lot of time with us talking about his experiences over the years in comp cooking. Warm and appreciated welcome for some newbs!

We have an IBCA board meeting this weekend in Kerrville I will see him there. Brad is a Region 1 director and IBCA judge I am a Region 2 director and IBCA judge too lol.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
matt USER_AVATAR
Matt
Rustler

Postby Matt » Thu May 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Cool KAM, tell him Matt from the Pridgen Cattle Co cookers said hello. :salut:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri May 12, 2017 6:59 am

Matt wrote:Cool KAM, tell him Matt from the Pridgen Cattle Co cookers said hello. :salut:

I sure will Matt. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”