How long do I cook a five pound Sirloin?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Oilpony
Pilgrim

How long do I cook a five pound Sirloin?

Postby Oilpony » Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello everyone. It's been a very busy spring at our house. unfortunately that means little time for cooking on the grill. I do need some advice. I'm cooking a five pound sirloin, pretty much a roast. It's a long time family favorite cut.
A quick history, Dad would always cook it on his grill directly over the coals. It usually took just under two hours to cook. The meat was inject with a homemade bbq sauce that is mustard and butter based. Do to flare ups it was usually cooked medium to welll done.
I'm wanting to cook it on my green egg this weekend. I'm thinking of cooking it indirect at 250 then sear it towards the end of the cook. Hopefully my goal is to get the middle medium rare (135-140). I'm serving it for dinner Sunday night.
My question is this: how long do you think it will take to cook? Im hoping someone with a little more cooking expiernce than me can give me a fairly good guesstimate. Four, five hours? I know it's impossible to say how long a certain piece of meat will take to smoke. I've cooked many steaks,1.5 inch cut, using this method and it usually takes about 20-25 minutes. Thanks for your help
Buford T. Justice: I'm gonna barbeque yo' tail in molasses!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: How long do I cook a five pound Sirloin?

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Shame you don't have a Temp Prob to use during the cook HOWEVER, I'll bet that some of these Gurus will help you out soon. Good Luck and post some pics if you can :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Oilpony
Pilgrim

Postby Oilpony » Fri May 12, 2017 6:10 pm

darn. I forgot about those. lol. I had one but it broke two months ago and I've never replaced it. Thank you for the reminder
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Might be a good time and worth the bucks to spring for a Maverick el cheapo :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Oilpony
Pilgrim

Postby Oilpony » Fri May 12, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm picking one up tomorrow. I'm just curious if anyone has any expiernce cooking this type of meat. I don't want to cook the thing and come dinner time it's not ready
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri May 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Don't know if this chart will help...

It's for smaller cuts, maybe...

Get an instant-read thermometer, too. After this week's well-done steak fiasco, I'll never 'guess' again. Good luck and keep us posted.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 12, 2017 7:01 pm

I used a lot of the BBQ Pit Boys Suggestions and here's one from them that might help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFgJJL8fo
Oilpony
Pilgrim

Postby Oilpony » Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I used a lot of the BBQ Pit Boys Suggestions and here's one from them that might help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFgJJL8fo

ZZ Top meets outdoor grilling! OldUseParts, thank you for the link. I have never heard of those guys but they are no win my bookmarks. That gives me a good idea how to time my cook.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri May 12, 2017 9:45 pm

If you're doing a reverse sear, cook it indirect at 300 for about 45 min, then direct heat for about 5 minutes per side. This should put you in the mid rare area. I used to do some monster round steaks like this and they turned out fantastic!
(Insert witty signature here)
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat May 13, 2017 4:09 am

I'm with him, bake then sear..but do the sear super hot, you want that exterior to have a crust!
Let the meat come to room temp before cooking and salt the heck out of it with medium coarse sea salt.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”