First Brisket in COS- Mother's Day Special

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

lowandslow1 USER_AVATAR
lowandslow1
Pilgrim

First Brisket in COS- Mother's Day Special

Postby lowandslow1 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:17 am

Did a trial run for my son's graduation party next month and what better day than Mother's Day. Kept her out of the kitchen all day...
My plan was to smoke the brisket until just after the stall and the meat started a steady temperature rise. Then wrap it in foil and finish the remaining cook time in the kitchen oven. I didn't want to spend all night with the COS. Rather spoon the wife than spoon feed the COS.
Started with a 15 lbs brisket and and after trimming ended up with 13 lbs. Trimmed and seasoned ala Aaron Franklin (50/50 salt and pepper). Weapon of choice was the rehabilitated COS that I am learning to use. Using the cooking time of 1:15 per pound of brisket it works out to 16 hours of cooking time at 250. Kept a log of the cook so I could get an idea of how this thing worked. Had a temp probe in the flat and one hanging on the grill.
Start.JPG
Trimmed and seasoned

Started the brisket at 6pm with a water pan in the smoke chamber. Was able to keep a stable 245-250 degrees in the smoke chamber by adding 12 briquettes every 45 minutes and the vent 1/3-1/2 open. I added two cups of mesquite pellets to my pellet tray at the same time. The "stall" seemed to occur after about 2-1/2 hours at 150 degrees, where the meat took about 2 hours to push through 165 degrees. After 5-1/2 hours I decided to stop the smoke, wrap it and place it in the oven. Opened the smoke chamber for the first time and the meat looked great, still a little water in the pan. Triple wrapped in foil, put it in a rimmed baking pan and put in the oven at 225 degrees. It's now midnight.
Woke up to the smell of beef in the house. Probed the meat through the foil and the felt no resistance through the meat and the meat temp was 205. 13 hours of cook time...much sooner than I expected. I guess the "Texas Crutch" really does speed the cooking process. Removed from oven and let rest while we were at church. Came home and opened the foil, meat temp was 150.
After.JPG
The reveal

There was about a cup of liquid in the foil (saved) of which there was about 2 tbs of fat, the rest was broth. Sliced.
Sliced.JPG
Sliced

Verdict: There was still adequate fat in the meat and passed the pull test. Flavor was fantastic. Cut the flat section first. The point later. The flat was a little on the dry side. Very tender, seemed juicy, but everyone thought was a touch dry. The point was perfect (...more fat and thicker I suppose).

Lesson learned. I think I could/should have stopped the oven process sooner. I did not have a temp probe in the meat when it was in the oven. I probably should have and then when the meat hit 190 pull it out of the oven, factoring in a 5-7 degree kinetic rise in meat temp. Or cook in the oven at 200 so that the meat never gets over 200. But the COS did a nice job. The remote temp probes are a must and remove the guess work and babysitting of the COS. The wife brought some to work with her and now her office wants me to do a brisket for their Memorial Day BBQ next week.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: First Brisket in COS- Mother's Day Special

Postby limey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Looks good, I always save some extra drippings from the foil for the flat slices if they come out a tad dry. Congrats to your son on his graduation as well. :cheers:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Kudos on the Briskie and Congrats to the Grad - - - - happy times for sure :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed May 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Brisket looks good congratulations. :D :salut:
Get you one of these I have stock in this company and use them at comps and catering.
One probe easy to use for monitoring meat temps.
https://www.acurite.com/digital-cooking ... 993st.html
Once wrapped my briskets always go to 205° in the center of the flat then I check for probe tender. If they are done I let rest covered till the internal temp drops to 160°/165°
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Hey KAM. Glad you posted this. I was recently fooled by the poke test at 195 and thought maybe I should just go 205 no matter what. At 205 have there ever been over done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Hey KAM. Glad you posted this. I was recently fooled by the poke test at 195 and thought maybe I should just go 205 no matter what. At 205 have there ever been over done?

I have never had a brisket probe tender under 200° this is the reason I just carry to 205° As I said I do let my briskets rest down to 160° /165° before slicing though. At 205° they are gonna want to tear on you at the upper flat section.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:34 am

k.a.m. wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]Hey KAM. Glad you posted this. I was recently fooled by the poke test at 195 and thought maybe I should just go 205 no matter what. At 205 have there ever been over done?

I have never had a brisket probe tender under 200° this is the reason I just carry to 205° As I said I do let my briskets rest down to 160° /165° before slicing though. At 205° they are gonna want to tear on you at the upper flat section.[/quote]

Thanks for the info as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”