Wood Dealer ATX area

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Wood Dealer ATX area

Postby rickhdz36 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:44 pm

I dont know if this is the right thread :scratch:

But i was wondering any one from austin area, where they get their wood? big box stores? HEB actually has a nice selection sometimes but I can never find post oak. I live in Hutto but wouldnt mind driving to pick up some good amount of wood for a decent price.

Also what is a good amount of wood go for? what is too much money for wood?

Thanks fellas!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Wood Dealer ATX area

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Hey Rick, you might call this old boy that deals in Apple Wood and he's located North of Austin. Even tho he deals in Apple, he sure might be able to turn you onto someone that deals in Post Oak.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27592&p=223626&hilit=I+sell+BBQ+Wood#p223626

Good Luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 20, 2017 6:15 pm

OK, I thought I had recently seen someone post about Post Oak and I finally found the link he posted. He seems to be located in Bastrop and if you'll scroll down there's more info and phone number.

viewtopic.php?t=28753
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Awesome! Thanks man! I'll give them a shout on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun May 21, 2017 10:32 am

Check out Harley's -- http://harleyswoodyard.com/prices
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun May 21, 2017 10:57 am

I tried Harley and was not impressed with his wood..may have just been a bad time to try him.
I looked for good seasoned post oak around Austin for two years and even took to driving around to small towns within 40 miles hoping to run across some guy selling from his lot or roadside..never found a thing that was any good.
Spent $400 (from three different guys) trying to find good wood and never did. I gave it all away to a buddy.
I think post oak is rare here now because EVERYBODY wants it and pays top dollar for good seasoned wood.
Lots of guys with a chainsaw are taking advantage of the surge in demand and are cutting and selling less than great smoking wood.
More like firewood, which is fine, but just not for flavoring meat.
Try to learn in advance what you are looking for and buy a moisture meter and check water content, I believe 18 to 22 is ideal.
Too wet and you have to let it age, which is a problem if you don't have dry enclosed space to let it sit a year or two.
Too dry and it won't impart good flavor, will burn too hot and too fast.
Your luck will probably be better than mine was but keep your ears up and don't get suckered by chainsaw bob..
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Very good follow up C-dev, :tup: thanks, wish more folks would do that :salut:
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun May 21, 2017 2:55 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun May 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Craigslost is where I bought most of my wood, aside from one time from Harley, and the craigs sellers post great pics of large evenly stacked seasoned wood but when you get to the yard or they get to your yard, the wood in the picture is not on hand...
I will admit that my experiences failed because I did not know what I wanted and the sellers figured that out and sold me green wood, over dry wormy wood, heart wood from large diameter red oak trees and some stuff from Harley that seemed on reflection to be drift wood or wood recovered from a flood area..
The few times I found seasoned post oak produced some really fine tasting briskets and is worth the trouble to find, but again, you can get wood snookered here in the music capital of Texas..so watch your 6.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun May 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Chasdev wrote:I tried Harley and was not impressed with his wood..may have just been a bad time to try him...I think post oak is rare here now because EVERYBODY wants it and pays top dollar for good seasoned wood.

That's because Aaron Franklin is using it all up. :shock: :laughing7: Got lots of post oak on my property -- I'm lucky. :texas:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun May 21, 2017 5:09 pm

How much for one tree? I bet the UPS on that baby would set me back...
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks Chas! good looking out. Yeah I was going to do the craigslist too but did not want to be suckered into buying all this wood and it sucks. I rather be able to go look and pick and choose.

I dont much about wood and what it should look like when its "seasoned wood" I guess store bags might do for now until I can find something good. Thanks again fellas
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon May 22, 2017 7:19 am

There was one guy selling real seasoned post oak bundles at the small bait shop type stores around upper lake Travis a few years ago, I called him and he was out but still planning on doing it later, never found his stuff though.
Post oak is whiter than the other 1 million types of oak and has an almost sweet smell when cut..I prefer limb wood rather than heart wood unless the tree was middle aged when it died, I find most heart wood to be too dense to burn right, at least to me..others may love it.
Also stay away from kiln dried oak, like what Academy sometimes offers, it just does not smell good when it burns, again at least to me..
There's a new/er guy out of Bastrop who claims he has seasoned post oak, I have not bought from him or looked at his stuff but his number is..512 507 2131.
If I was looking to buy wood today, I would buy a small batch and cook on it then if it works out, buy more, if it works out great, buy lots more.
However, owning a cord of cut wood has it's own set of problems...keeping it dry, keeping rats and roaches out of the pile and not letting it get TOO dry over a longer period of time if you bought more than you can burn in a season.
Let me/us know what he has..
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:01 am

So I had called a couple of these guys on craigslist and they gave me the run around about going to see the wood before paying. They offered free delivery and blah blah blah.

I went to HEB and they had B&B bags of oak and pecan for under 8 bucks! So I picked up 2 bags of oak and 1 of pecan. Seemed like a good deal to me. I would have gotten more but the wife was like "why do you need so much wood?!" lol So i just stopped at 3 bags lol

Seemed less of a hassle then dealing with the craigslist people.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 26, 2017 9:49 am

Yanno Rick, while this thread was going on I kept thinking that maybe ?just maybe? IF YOUR NEEDS weren't to large, that Store Bought bagged wood might just be your best shot.

Just get what you need when you need it - - - then there's no storage or deterioration to content with. Good Luck with what ever you end up choosing and have a great Memorial Day Weekend. :tup:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”