Wood Dealer ATX area

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

WESTERNBBQPRODUCTS-OAK CHUNKS

Postby eets-a-lot » Sat May 27, 2017 6:33 pm

I recently ordered a sack of oak wood from Amazon. I will be using it Monday to smoke a brisket. I had not been able to find wood chunks in the Rockwall, Tx area. I have heard about several road side places that sell post oak chunks north of DFW. I'll be checking them out soon but I wanted some oak for my cook on Monday. This sack from Amazon is approximately 10 lbs and cost $20. Three days later I checked Amazon and the same wood was priced at $23+. I'll know how good it is in a couple days. I will still be checking around for post oak
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Re: Wood Dealer ATX area

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:51 am

Awesome! Yeah let me know. I love ordering from amazon lol so itll be even more convenient.

I smoked on sunday and the wood from B&B was a hit and miss. I only used the Pecan and maybe 1 oak log.

The pecan had huge pieces that i broke down into splints. There was what seemed to be an actual POST from a fence in the bag. It was square and it had a redish tint to it.
It was so hard I could not split it. I got a piece and put it in the fire and it looked and smelled terrible. I just took it back out. Then there was 2 pieces that seemed infected?
They were a brighter yellowish color that almost looked like foam and they were both SUPER light! They split easy and burned some what easy but never burned completely.
All and All it wasnt too bad i guess but still seems like those shouldnt have made it into the bags.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue May 30, 2017 6:54 am

Did the bag say anything about "kiln dried"?
That stuff burns funny and stinks, IMHO.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:10 am

Chasdev wrote:Did the bag say anything about "kiln dried"?
That stuff burns funny and stinks, IMHO.

No it was the B&B wood bags. It was Pecan and I dont think I saw anything else on the bag besides the name and type of wood. I will check when i get home.
The0Great1
Pilgrim

Postby The0Great1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:20 pm

I would check out this forum post as there is a good related discussion - viewtopic.php?t=26656

I personally recommend Woodchuck Firewood Delivery for your needs - https://www.woodchuckdelivery.com/ - (512) 387-7270
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:04 am

Not sure why this pops up again after all this time but again, my experience with woodchuck is that they either did not know if their oak was properly seasoned (and I did not at the time know enough to figure it out on my own) OR they were so interested in selling "any" wood they had on the trailer that they did not care.
I bought a lot of not-at-all cured oak from them which turned out to be a big problem for me having to store it covered up for years waiting for it to dry out.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”