Pork Spare Ribs Test run

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Pork Spare Ribs Test run

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:24 pm

This is my first smoke on my OJ and this is a test run for Memorial weekend. Ima do a pork butt and ribs this weekend but just wanted to practice using the smoker.

2 different brand of spare ribs to see which one I like more. Seasons with BBQ Rub from Killer Hogs and spraying a mix of pineapple juice, apple juice and apple cigar vinegar every 45 mins. Using some oak wood with apple chunks. Keeping temp at 250.

Let you know how it turns out

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Re: Pork Spare Ribs Test run

Postby JustinCouch » Tue May 23, 2017 4:45 pm

LOOKS GREAT MAN. I NEED TO GET OFF OF MY LAZY BUTT AND START WELDING UP MY OFFSET SMOKER. I SEE ALL YALL WITH THEM AND ITS KILLING ME. CANT WAIT TO SEE THE RESULTS.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:09 pm

It started pouring! So I had to setup the tent. Thanks weather people for saying it'll be a clear day.

IMG_4396.JPG

rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:10 pm

JustinCouch wrote:LOOKS GREAT MAN. I NEED TO GET OFF OF MY LAZY BUTT AND START WELDING UP MY OFFSET SMOKER. I SEE ALL YALL WITH THEM AND ITS KILLING ME. CANT WAIT TO SEE THE RESULTS.

I wish I had a welder! I want to do some changes and add ons but I don't want to drill and bolt them on. I rather weld them on.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Cook sure looks good :salut: - - - you got a final pic yet :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Ain't some of the trimmings and they were delicious. Should be about another 2 hours. I started late since we had to run errands this morning.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 23, 2017 6:47 pm

rickhdz36 wrote:It started pouring! So I had to setup the tent. Thanks weather people for saying it'll be a clear day.

Quote: "if you don't like the weather in Texas just hang around for 30 minutes or so" :texas: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Quote: "if you don't like the weather in Texas just hang around for 30 minutes or so" :texas: :whiteflag:[/quote]

Yup. It's sunny. Lol

rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 pm

Ribs came out a little burnt? But not really lol like it doesn't taste burnt but it's dark but very flavorful! I think I need to cook them at a lower temp in my smoker. Good thing it was a test run. My wife said they were delicious. I also think they were too just a little crispy. Also fell off the bone. Very difficult to cut with out ripping. Maybe I need a better knife or is this what happens when it's too tender?

Please any tips so I can use it this weekend.

IMG_4400.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Also I noticed the apple wood chunks would burn up way to fast and didn't seem to smoke much. It would white smoke and then finally calm down to a blue smoke but by then it was basically time to add another one. Luckily I found post oak today so I was able to depend on that more

williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Wed May 24, 2017 4:43 am

Nice job, look's good !! :cheers: :cheers: :salut: :salut:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed May 24, 2017 8:07 am

It does!

We use kitchen shears to cut ribs most of the time. They have to be sharp, though.
Moink!
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:14 am

Typically when the ribs fall off the bone, they're over-cooked. Some people prefer them that way. I'm not one of those people.

I wouldn't go much lower than the 250 you were running.

Can you give us some more info on the cook? Did you wrap? What was the total cook time?

I do a modified 3-2-1 method. Three hours nekid, then a little under 2 hours in foil with some moisture, then about 45 minutes back on the heat. And that's cooking at 275.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed May 24, 2017 8:23 am

rickhdz36 wrote:Also I noticed the apple wood chunks would burn up way to fast and didn't seem to smoke much. It would white smoke and then finally calm down to a blue smoke but by then it was basically time to add another one. Luckily I found post oak today so I was able to depend on that more

If the original Joe drafts like the remakes, wood fire management is gonna be a pain for you. My version (the one made by char-griller) will hold great temps pretty well with wood or charcoal, but needs S E R I O U S babysitting with a wood fire. I started using briquettes and wood chunks and found this to be where she performs best. I use lump occasionally instead of briquettes, works about the same. The lump burns hotter so you can use a bit less, but just a bit higher in cost over the ol' charcoal biscuits. Don't expect to use less than 14 lbs of charcoal either way if you're running @ 250 for 8+ hours.
(Insert witty signature here)
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks guys.

I cooked for 3 hours ranging from 250 +- 10 degrees. Then foiled them for another 2 hours and let them rest. For about 30 mins.

What I believe was the issue was my convection plate that I made. I believe it sits too high and was basically cooking the ribs too. I'm gonna cut a about an inch off so it can sit lower in the barrel. It seemed to work since the meat seemed cooked pretty evenly but I believe it was also becoming a hot plate and cooking them.

Hopefully my next cook goes better but these ribs still tasted delicious

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”