Brisket injection experiment..

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Brisket injection experiment..

Postby Chasdev » Wed May 24, 2017 2:42 pm

This will be only my second time to inject a brisket and having learned what to do and what not to do from the first, I was thinking it might be a good idea to cut a slit in the end of the bag, drain the blood then leaving the brisket in the bag, inject through the bag into the meat so that the excess stays on the meat overnight inside the bag, and also off my kitchen counter tops and walls.
Anybody already do it this way?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Brisket injection experiment..

Postby Txdragon » Wed May 24, 2017 2:54 pm

That is a great idea for sure! The first time I injected a brisket, I followed that up with about an hour and change of cleaning up the kitchen counter.. And floor, and walls, and ceiling... :laughing7: :laughing7: The second one I injected, I put it in a walmart bag just for the injection procedure. I like your idea! Try to keep the drain slit small enough so you don't lose all your marinade!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 24, 2017 4:08 pm

10-4 - KAM posted a technique of wrapping in saran wrap before injecting but this appears to possiblty have the same results - - - - AND you don't get a face full of injection fluid when you shoot it in the brisket. :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm

You guys have no adventure. It is kinda like squirting the cat when you milk a cow.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed May 24, 2017 4:31 pm

It's been two weeks and I am still finding spots of the spray pattern 12 feet away..
It's hard to avoid pushing on the plunger when stabbing the "needle" into the beef..and spray she does..
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat May 27, 2017 6:40 am

I justed injected a pork butt still inside the sealed bag and it worked great!
A little back flow until I figured out to let the needle stay in place for a few seconds after injecting but no across-the-kitchen sprays this time..
Been sitting in the fridge overnight and most of the marinade has stayed in the meat so I give this a thumbs up.

UPdate to my own update.
Just placed the butt on the Kamado and there was next to NO marinade leakage into the sealed bag..
None tried to drip out as I handled it to apply the rub and none dripping out at one into the cook..
I'm sold.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat May 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:You guys have no adventure. It is kinda like squirting the cat when you milk a cow.

Man Okie if that don't bring back memories :D
Dang barn cats came a running at milk time. Only time they'd come within 3 feet of me :laughing7:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 27, 2017 1:49 pm

an ol Bossie would say "Moooooo, here comes ol icy fangers :cow: " :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Havis001
Pilgrim

Postby Havis001 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 am

I have never done that before. :whiteflag:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 am

I have done both ways but prefer the plastic wrap. The reason is trying to trim out the brisket once injected. I have found that the brisket will release some of the injection while trimming so I trim then wrap and inject. Both ways work for keeping the liquid off of you and your walls though.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:43 am

k.a.m. wrote:I have done both ways but prefer the plastic wrap. The reason is trying to trim out the brisket once injected. I have found that the brisket will release some of the injection while trimming so I trim then wrap and inject. Both ways work for keeping the liquid off of you and your walls though.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”