Noob Ribs Question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Glefevre87
Pilgrim

Noob Ribs Question

Postby Glefevre87 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am

Morning All,

Below is a thread from another section of the forum that I posted but I think it was in the wrong section.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29429

I am going to attempt another rack of ribs today as a test run. What should I do different this time? Please help I don't want these to be a disaster on Memorial day.

Thanks everyone in advance!!!
Pits by Klose 20x36"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Noob Ribs Question

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 25, 2017 8:41 am

Always remember "LOW" and "SLOW" - - - you can cook ribs fast, if you want but mine take me about 6 hours total and my biggest problem is the meat falling off the bone. Hang in there and keep experimenting - - -that's the way most all of use learned - - - along with members and friends help - - - - Good Luck
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:45 am

The best thing you can do is to learn your cooker and how it likes to cook. They tend to be finicky and each is different. Once you figure out how to manage the fire, it becomes much easier.

I'll give you my way, you're welcome to try and let me know if you have any difficulties or questions. It's important to know that there's more than one way to skin a cat. Take your time, find out what works for you and practice practice practice.

Initially, I light the pit to allow it to start coming up to temperature.

While the pit is heating, I pull the ribs out. If they're already trimmed, wonderful. If they're not, I prefer to trim a full slab of spares down to St. Louis cut.

Turn the ribs over so the bone side is facing up. Pull the membrane. If you haven't done it, it's daunting. In reality, it's not that difficult. Rather than trying to describe it, my advice would be to pull up a video on YouTube showing you how to remove it.

Once the membrane is off, I slather with yellow mustard to bind the rub.

Season both sides liberally with seasoning of your choice (mine is SuckleBusters' Hog Waller).

Once the pit is up to temp, which, for me, is 275, put the ribs on. I'll cook them for at least 2.5 hours naked. When I foil is determined by two things. Color and pull back on the bones. When the meat has pulled back about 1/4" from the end of the bone, I wrap. The wrap is to tenderize.

When I wrap, I lay the foil out, and squirt the magic blue bottle on the center of the foil. Then put the ribs on, meat down. Then more magic blue on the bone side of the ribs. Wrap tightly and return to pit.

I'll check tenderness as they go, but at 275, it's usually between an hour and a half and a hour and 45 minutes to hit the right spot. It's hard to describe, but, while it's in foil, it's just something I can tell by squeezing.

When they hit that point, I take them out of the foil and put them back on the foil for about 45 minutes to firm the bark back up. This is when I'll do the bend test. If you're not familiar, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Total cook time ends up being 5.5-6 hours. Then a mandatory rest in a towel lined ice chest. Ribs, I rest half an hour at minimum, but up to 2 hours, depending on when we're eating.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu May 25, 2017 8:47 am

Are you removing the membrane? There's about a 50-50 split on this. We remove. Some are harder to do than others!

You can certainly do ribs hottish and fastish, but I think they're best low 'n' slow.
Moink!
Glefevre87
Pilgrim

Postby Glefevre87 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks for the help everyone. Ill be firing up the pit around noon. Hopefully I can control temps a little better today
Pits by Klose 20x36"
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu May 25, 2017 9:34 am

My timeline for St. Louis ribs....

Pit anywhere from 260* - 290* (short spikes over 300* are tolerated)
Membrane ON - (nature's saran wrap)
Nekid for 2 hours - 15 min.
Wrap in foil with some OJ/honey mix...about 1/4 cup per rack
Cook in foil for 1 hour
Open foil - leave ribs in juice - glaze and cook 45 min.
Remove from pit, cover and let rest a minimum of 15 min - 30 min. is better.

About 4.5 hours total... About perfect every time. :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
Ranchertx
Pilgrim

Postby Ranchertx » Thu May 25, 2017 10:35 am

Cook them all the time for small and large groups. I make my own rub which is Paprika, Chili Powder, Brown Sugar, Onion and Garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper.

Removing the membrane is not always good. It will help to keep the ribs moist if you cook them naked and meat side up. I do not mess with taking it off unless I am doing a comp.

I spritz mine with apple juice. after the first two hours, every 20 minutes or so.

Wrapping is also something that is not needed, it you can cook indirect heat. 4-4.5 hrs at 275 and St Louis Spares will be perfect.

Watch your fire and do not let it got over 300. The sugar in your rub can burn if it gets too hot.

I use visual and a bend test to see when they are done. Once the meat starts pulling back from the bone check it and see if it is starting to loosen up. You can google the "rib bend test" and watch videos to see what to look for.

Good luck.
Glefevre87
Pilgrim

Postby Glefevre87 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Well they turned out much better today. I was able to keep temps between 250-275 today. Started with a half chimney of lump this time. Temps slowly raised to 285 closed damper 1/2 and it brought temps to 250.

Problem: I believe the wood I purchased (supposed to be season) was not. I had the hardest time keep a log light after about 3 hrs. It was a guessing game as I would place a log it would light then die off if 10-15 min. So I would put another on... same thing. Then one would finally catch and I would be good to go till the next time to add.

I am going tomorrow to a place that is suppose to be a reputable seasoned wood provider in Spring. Hopefully this doesn't happen overnight on Saturday. I have 2 briskets, 3 racks of ribs and a yardbird.
Pits by Klose 20x36"
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:49 am

Something I learned, and if anyone else has any tips, was I built the fire towards the back more. That way I had enough room in the front to leave a piece of wood so It would start heating up, even if it was damp, it would be dry enough by the time i threw it on the coals. I also had another log on top of the FB, ready to take its place inside the FB. Really helped with them catching almost immediately. :lol:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”