Brisket - oven finished

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Sixx
Pilgrim

Brisket - oven finished

Postby Sixx » Fri May 26, 2017 8:59 am

Hey All....So, I've smoked briskets a few times in my weber kettle, but I'm under some time issues this time so have a question. I've got a 14 lb brisket and I'll have some time to tend to it tonight, but tomorrow I won'g have more than a few minutes here and there to check in on it..... So..if we plan on eating around 3-5, I'm curious if this is a good idea.

Throw it on tonight around 5 or 6 and let it smoke until midnight. Then wrap in foil and throw it in the oven at 225 to finish. I've been trying to search and read on oven finished, and hard to find concrete info. Isn't this going to make for soggy/moist bark? Is my timing about right? I know it's hard to say for sure, but if it finishes early, not a big deal as I can hold it for a while, just don't want to underestimate and have starving guests for dinner.

Any other things I need to know about doing things this way?

Thanks!
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Brisket - oven finished

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri May 26, 2017 10:17 am

I do briskets like that all the time..... fun evening followed by some good sleep... followed by some great food.

Once the brisket gets probe tender in the oven then take it out and let it rest on the counter with the foil opened. This will firm up the bark and keep the meat from over cooking. After the I/T drops to about 160 then you can put if back in an oven set on low and hold for hours - or place in a cooler. Keep the I/T above 145 and you're good to go.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 26, 2017 10:22 am

Since I've proven many times that I don't have the patience to do a Brisket strictly on the Pit, the "only" way that I'll EVER DO another Brisket is to start on the Pit and finish in an Reynold's Oven Bag. I used to do them that way a lot but haven't lately because of the small demand from just the two of us and Wiffy don't eat much meat period. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri May 26, 2017 11:28 am

Don't tell anyone, but we once finished a SMALL brisket in a slow cooker.
Moink!
Sixx
Pilgrim

Postby Sixx » Fri May 26, 2017 2:57 pm

I appreciate all the replies. So, looks like that is the plan then....we shall see how it goes :D
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm never speaking to you guys again…

LOL - do what works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Brisket - oven finished

Postby woodenvisions » Fri May 26, 2017 6:18 pm

[quote="bsooner75"]I'm never speaking to you guys again…

LOL - do what works for you!

LOL @ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lone_Wolf_Ronin
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Brisket - oven finished

Postby Lone_Wolf_Ronin » Sun May 28, 2017 11:02 am

Sixx wrote:Hey All....So, I've smoked briskets a few times in my weber kettle, but I'm under some time issues this time so have a question. I've got a 14 lb brisket and I'll have some time to tend to it tonight, but tomorrow I won'g have more than a few minutes here and there to check in on it..... So..if we plan on eating around 3-5, I'm curious if this is a good idea.

Throw it on tonight around 5 or 6 and let it smoke until midnight. Then wrap in foil and throw it in the oven at 225 to finish. I've been trying to search and read on oven finished, and hard to find concrete info. Isn't this going to make for soggy/moist bark? Is my timing about right? I know it's hard to say for sure, but if it finishes early, not a big deal as I can hold it for a while, just don't want to underestimate and have starving guests for dinner.

Any other things I need to know about doing things this way?

Thanks!

Late to the party here but this is what I did lately; ditched smoker altogether. (I know, a sacrilege but my focus was on ultra tender of tender brisket, including bark, for my 91 yr old dad.

For my 14# brisket, after applying rub: 1 HR @350*F on uncovered baking pan, followed 225*F in covered roasting pan until IT hit 195*F. Super tender. The higher temp helps "sear" in flavor and reduces total cook time, which was 10 hrs for this 14#er.

Future thoughts: will play with interaction between full-on in-oven vs blend of in-oven and smoker. Thinking is do most in oven: a "reverse" sear of sorts on smoker to tighten up bark and maybe adding extra smoke flavor.

Hope yours went well.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”