FRESH OR FROZEN

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

FRESH OR FROZEN

Postby eets-a-lot » Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Does freezing brisket flats and baby back ribs degrade the taste? Any suggested time limits to freezing.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: FRESH OR FROZEN

Postby Chasdev » Sun May 28, 2017 7:01 am

I vote not but I've not done a head to head comparison..I freeze briskets ribs and pork butts all the time..
First problem is I don't often see a brisket that really calls my name even though I sort through them every time I stop at the store, even if it's just for milk and eggs.
There's not many sexy briskets on display so if I see one I can't resist I have to buy it while the buying is good, so into the freezer it goes...
eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Postby eets-a-lot » Sun May 28, 2017 7:40 am

Thanx Chasdev, for the come back. I thought there wasn't any problem. Guess I just wanted to hear somebody else agree with my thoughts. I buy all of my brisket (flats only) at Wal Mart in Rockwall and have been very happy with their meats. I give them plenty time to thaw, then eat and enjoy. Lately Wal Mart-Rockwall has been getting some good briskets and ribs regularly.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 28, 2017 8:10 am

I would also add that you should ?probably? try not to keep them frozen for a "long" time - - - planning ahead and buying closer to cooking time, even with SOME freezing, would be my optimal option :tup: Good Luck :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun May 28, 2017 11:09 am

eets-a-lot wrote:Thanx Chasdev, for the come back. I thought there wasn't any problem. Guess I just wanted to hear somebody else agree with my thoughts. I buy all of my brisket (flats only) at Wal Mart in Rockwall and have been very happy with their meats. I give them plenty time to thaw, then eat and enjoy. Lately Wal Mart-Rockwall has been getting some good briskets and ribs regularly.

I read last week that Walmart has changed to Choice briskets only..not sure if it's different meat or if they just changed the stamping on the packages but last time I surfed the meat locker there they had 20 choice babys just sitting there grinning back at me..
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun May 28, 2017 7:45 pm

I will freeze brisket ONLY if I have to. Not really for fear of degradation, but because it takes so darn long to thaw lol. Ribs.. I have cooked ribs that were 4 months in my freezer and had no difference in fresh bought. Same for pork butts. Keep them in their original vac-pack and you've very little to fear. I suspect the butts and brisket to be near perfect after 9 or more months, ribs around 6.
(Insert witty signature here)
eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Postby eets-a-lot » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanx to everyone who responded. Seems like frozen is ok for ribs and briskets, but not too long. I had a brisket for 3 weeks frozen and it tuned out
fine (good as fresh).
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:44 pm

We freeze briskets and ribs. We always leave them in their cryo-vac then wrap them with freezer paper.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Don't let OUP fool you. He digs through estate sales looking for 8-10 year old briskets frozen away and forgot about. He gets them for free, offering to 'dispose' of them properly. If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. <gasp, wheeze>
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:Don't let OUP fool you. He digs through estate sales looking for 8-10 year old briskets frozen away and forgot about. He gets them for free, offering to 'dispose' of them properly. If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. <gasp, wheeze>

This gave me a big laugh, sorry oup.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:11 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:Don't let OUP fool you. He digs through estate sales looking for 8-10 year old briskets frozen away and forgot about. He gets them for free, offering to 'dispose' of them properly. If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. <gasp, wheeze>

You tell a trade secret to a trusted friend and what happens? "They post your secret online for all the world to see" - - - Now, everyone will be doing it and it's gonna become almost impossible to find and old free one. :banghead: :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:30 am

I'd be willing to bet that most meats you buy at the store have already been frozen at least once.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”