Temping.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RUBYRW
Rustler

Temping.

Postby RUBYRW » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:22 pm

I notice a lot of people temping the thickest part of the flat. Will this leave the point under cooked? New to this so figured i would ask.
Also, 1st time trying ribs this Sunday. I'll try the 3 2 1 method, as it seems the safest. Does everyone temp these too? What temp do you pull to foil..then unfoil...then pull for good? Also do you rest ribs as you would a brisket?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Temping.

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Not a brisket man by any means but I've done my share of oink bonz. My thoughts are if the flat isn't under cooked then the point certainly shouldn't be. :dont: ?right guys?

My thoughts on the ribs is to concentrate on the temp of your Pit and not the Rib temp - - - - Low and Slow wins the Race. :tup: Lots of different opinions on which temps to use but I prefer to keep the Pit around 200 - 225 until the last hour and then, depending on the pull back from the bones, up it to between 250 and 300. I don't worry about resting my Ribs because they usually don't get cut up for at least 30 minutes "unless the hungry mouths get to them first" GRRRRRRR

Good Luck and please give us a follow up on your results. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Briskets...not experts, but the experts here usually say wait until it probes 'like buttah.'

We usually don't temp ribs. It's hard to do! We use various 'bend 'n' feel' tests and see whether the meat draws away from the bone ends.
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:17 am

RUBYRW wrote:I notice a lot of people temping the thickest part of the flat. Will this leave the point under cooked?

I feel we're all BBQ brothers and sisters here so I'll certainly do my best.. **Takes on stern voice**

Stop... Temping... Brisket... For... Doneness...
This is a good way to set yourself up for failure on multiple levels.
The experts of the expert crowd of brisket temperature takers will also tell you that temp isn't anything to watch to see of it's ready to pull. I myself have had briskets at 195 that were super close to falling apart, and I have had briskets at 205 that would bounce if I dropped it.. When you can insert a bamboo shiskabob skewer into the thickest part of the flat with very little to no resistance, (like butter), THEN your brisket is ready!

Ribs. There's a fun endeavor! These are much more forgiving to methods than brisket. From my experiences, the 3-2-1 method is overkill so I have to modify it. I feel it is largely due to my temps of 250. Cooking that high, I shoot for a 6 hour cook with the bottom 2 hours in foil. I call that the 4-2-none method. :laughing7:
I like to let them go totally topless when I have the time, skipping the foil altogether. This takes a bit longer, I end up cooking them in the pork butt timeframe. :shock: But they turn out with a great bark when completed. Have fun with ribs and play around with a few methods to see what you really like, they are more forgiving and definitely less wallet damaging than brisket when mistakes are made.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:39 am

^^^^^^^^^
"That's" one of the reasons I love this Forum :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:02 pm

I got fooled by the poke test a couple brisket back. Poked easy enough but was tough. Not sure if it was the temp, brisket or another reason.

Last one I did I followed KAM's advice and went straight to 205. Came out great. I'm going to test that out a few more times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:07 am

bsooner75 wrote:I got fooled by the poke test a couple brisket back. Poked easy enough but was tough. Not sure if it was the temp, brisket or another reason.

Was it a brisket you injected, by chance?
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:06 am

No…I actually went to sleep before the cooker was up to temp, woke up thought I fixed it and did the same thing again. The fact I wound up cooking several hours at 190 contributed to the toughness.

Curious as to why you'd ask about injection. Can it cause a similar issue?

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:19 pm

bsooner75 wrote:No…I actually went to sleep before the cooker was up to temp, woke up thought I fixed it and did the same thing again. The fact I wound up cooking several hours at 190 contributed to the toughness.

The injection process is going to disturb the meat, of course. If it were injected and seemingly probed ready but was not, possible to hit a spot from the injection.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Txdragon wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]No…I actually went to sleep before the cooker was up to temp, woke up thought I fixed it and did the same thing again. The fact I wound up cooking several hours at 190 contributed to the toughness.

The injection process is going to disturb the meat, of course. If it were injected and seemingly probed ready but was not, possible to hit a spot from the injection.[/quote]

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

RUBYRW
Rustler

Postby RUBYRW » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 am

I have my 2 thermometers in the hood, offset smoker, one on the far left and one on the far right. They have a temperature differential of 10degrees.
Both read hotter than the temp on the grate. I placed an oven thermometer on the grate.
Question....how do you get a consistent temp across the grates from left to right? And what do you use to accurately temp the grates vs. the hood thermometers?
I filled my grates with food this weekend and the food closer to the fire box was getting cooked a lot quicker. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 am

RUBYRW wrote:I have my 2 thermometers in the hood, offset smoker, one on the far left and one on the far right. They have a temperature differential of 10degrees.
Both read hotter than the temp on the grate. I placed an oven thermometer on the grate.
Question....how do you get a consistent temp across the grates from left to right? And what do you use to accurately temp the grates vs. the hood thermometers?
I filled my grates with food this weekend and the food closer to the fire box was getting cooked a lot quicker. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

The hood thermos are usually reference point only. Like a clock that is off time, 10 minutes is ten minutes regardless if it is fast or slow. Same with those thermos.. Accurate readings or not, you can monitor rising or falling temps with them! Anywho.. If they can be calibrated, then do so when you can. There are some good vids on YouTube that will go through that process nicely! Your grate temps can be monitored with standard oven rack thermos you can find at Wal-Mart for about 6 bucks. Those aren't bad at all, I have a couple myself. Lol..
For getting even temps across the smoker, look into deflector plates. Some smokers need them, some don't **shrug**
I've got an Oklahoma Joe that reads darn near spot on across the grate. I'm 5 degrees low on my exhaust side at the grate. Not enough to even bother with deflection..
RUBYRW
Rustler

Postby RUBYRW » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:25 am

I have an Oklahoma Joe also. My hood thermos are 10degrees off left to right.
I have only used it twice and it seemed when the left hood read 250 my over thermo on the grate read 225. I had some ribs in there this weekend and the ribs that were real close to the fire box started to get burnt, even though my temps "seemed" ok. So I moved them over to the left and crowded the other ribs pretty tight...had 5 racks of back ribs going

RUBYRW
Rustler

Re: RE: Re: Temping.

Postby RUBYRW » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:26 am

Txdragon wrote:[quote="RUBYRW"]I have my 2 thermometers in the hood, offset smoker, one on the far left and one on the far right. They have a temperature differential of 10degrees.

The hood thermos are usually reference point only. Like a clock that is off time, 10 minutes is ten minutes regardless if it is fast or slow. Same with those thermos.. Accurate readings or not, you can monitor rising or falling temps with them! Anywho.. If they can be calibrated, then do so when you can. There are some good vids on YouTube that will go through that process nicely! Your grate temps can be monitored with standard oven rack thermos you can find at Wal-Mart for about 6 bucks. Those aren't bad at all, I have a couple myself. Lol..
For getting even temps across the smoker, look into deflector plates. Some smokers need them, some don't **shrug**
I've got an Oklahoma Joe that reads darn near spot on across the grate. I'm 5 degrees low on my exhaust side at the grate. Not enough to even bother with deflection..[/quote]
So when your hood thermos say 250, what's your grate reading?

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: RE: Re: Temping.

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 pm

RUBYRW wrote:So when your hood thermos say 250, what's your grate reading?

Mine are odd. They are about 125 degrees off until it settles. After about an hour at my target temp, they will read pretty near spot on.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”