1st Beef Ribs

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

1st Beef Ribs

Postby rickhdz36 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:47 am

Smoked some beef short ribs on friday for my brother who was visiting. I have to say they came out amazing. Even though I had a time crunch, I did not let them rest that long and was not able to put them back on the smoker to crisp them up. It took about 7.5 hours at 260-280. Smoked 3 hours and wrapped for the rest. Used only pecan because my oak pieces were small and did not burn well. It was funny because I ordered a chimney and the butcher paper from amazon and it came right after I started the smoker up lol So i wasn't able to use the chimney but did get to use the paper :cheers: I would have done one foil and one paper but the ribs weren't equal in size.

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: 1st Beef Ribs

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:58 am

:chef: Nothing I like better than a good beef rib. :chef:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:05 am

Best part of the cow, looks great!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:52 am

Those look great - - - lots of moisture -- - winner winner Dino Dinner :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:09 am

Really nice beef ribs. It's a shame they are so hard to find at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:25 am

I have been wanting to do some of these for a while!! Gotta make time for this weekend. GOT TO!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:55 am

Great lookin beef bones!!
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 am

bsooner75 wrote:Really nice beef ribs. It's a shame they are so hard to find at the store.

Ditto that!
Moink!
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:21 am

They look great!!
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks everyone! Yup it was a fun smoke and a delicious eat.

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
bsooner75 wrote:Really nice beef ribs. It's a shame they are so hard to find at the store.

Ditto that!

Double Ditto! I called a meat market asking for plate short ribs and was like sometimes they are called the dinosaur rib since its so big. He was like yeah we got those and said it was $4.39lb. So I was like are you sure? because its a long drive and he said yeah. Turns out he only had chuck ribs and it was slice along all 4 bones. MEATY but not what I wanted. Then he asked the other butcher and he was like "OH, the plate ribs?" I was like yeah, "We sold out yesterday." WELL thanks. So I hauled butt to another market right before close and they had a pack of 4 slabs and the guy did not want to separate them. Which were $5.59lb. So i said no thanks and went to 3 HEBs and no luck. So I gave in and went back to that market in the morning and the guy working was able to separate the slabs for me no problem.

I honestly didn't think it would be this hard to acquire beef ribs in TEXAS lol lessened learned!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 am

Most of the time "my" local HEB will have them or will cut them for me while I wait but I have better luck with Fiesta and a local Hispanic themed Gro Store called Blair's in Willis, Texas - - - yours sure look worth the trouble you went to however :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
RUBYRW
Rustler

Postby RUBYRW » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am

How many pounds did you smoke? Smoked for 3 then wrapped for 4.5 hours? How did you know they were done? Internal temp or pull back from bone like pork ribs? What's recommended rest time on these? Sorry for all the questions, I'm keeping notes and learning...this is an addictive and tasty hobby...i drink more doin it...love it !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm

RUBYRW wrote:this is an addictive and tasty hobby...i drink more doin it...love it !

That's probably the most "Correct Statement" of 2017 :tup: :salut: :cheers:
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:19 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
RUBYRW wrote:this is an addictive and tasty hobby...i drink more doin it...love it !

That's probably the most "Correct Statement" of 2017 :tup: :salut: :cheers:

I thought that I was the only one!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 am

RUBYRW wrote:How many pounds did you smoke? Smoked for 3 then wrapped for 4.5 hours? How did you know they were done? Internal temp or pull back from bone like pork ribs? What's recommended rest time on these? Sorry for all the questions, I'm keeping notes and learning...this is an addictive and tasty hobby...i drink more doin it...love it !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1)Smoked about 8lbs
2)Smoked for 3 hours trying to keep temp at 275. Put a log in at about 250. Temps ranged from 250 to 300. Wrapped for 4 hours and rested for 3 mins. Should have been an hour at least but we were all starving lol error on my part for time.
3)I did a mix of internal temp and feel. The large rack got to about 200 IT and I probed it and felt like butter between the bones. The smaller rack was at 195 IT and probed it also and it felt like butter. So I pulled them. The smaller rack actual got to rest longer since I cut the larger rack first. Both came out perfect. Left bite marks :laughing7:
4)I do not know recommended rest time but I wanted to do at least an hour. Only because that's what I have done with other meats.

SUPER ADDICTING. My wife has already said "This was only suppose to be a once in a while thing." 3 weeks straight I have smoked something lol She doesnt complain once she's eating it though :lol:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”