Turkey Day in June?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Turkey Day in June?

Postby TX1911 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Had a friend with a corporate food account order a case of bonless turkey breasts for me since they're never easy to find locally year round.

Ended up with 4, each between 4.25 and 4.5 lbs. Just what I was hoping for!

So, naturally, I had to try them out!

Brined for about 5 hours in a simple brine of salt, sugar and some aromatics (basil in this case). Sorry for the focus. Was using my ipad and they looked okay there.

Out of the brine

Hit with 50/50 kosher salt and black pepper

Tucked away for a few hours on the camp Chef on "Hi Smoke"

More to come!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Turkey Day in June?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Counselor, THAT has got to be a WIN WIN WIN - - - :cheers: can't wait to see the Gobbler Barkin'
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Checking more for color than anything else. Reached the color I wanted at about 120 internal. Wrapped with some butter and back on to 160.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:50 pm

That looks awesome
I've never done turkey breasts before.
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Would love some of that with cranberry jelly in a sammich. Nice cook

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:26 pm

I quit brining and starting injecting my turkey and chicken with excellent results. I use Tony Chachere's injections, preferring the Creole Butter. Ever use those?
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:01 pm

It was outstanding. I'll have some more pics up soon!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:27 pm

That's some good looking gobbler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:31 pm

So, here goes.

A realization I had was that turkey is the hardest easy thing to do.

What I mean is, trying to get an entire turkey breast done all at exactly the right time is incredibly difficult. One end is inevitably substantially thinner than the other. Such was the case here. The thin end dried out a bit. Not to the point it was inedible, but the texture was noticeably different. I tried to pull it at 160 internal. I was close. The fatter portion was 162 when I pulled it. The thinner was up to 175. In hindsight, it was likely my fault. When I foiled it, I upped the temp to 275 on the camp chef to make sure it would be done in time. I should have kept it at 225, where it had been up to that point.

To answer Okie's question, I will inject if I'm frying. For me, the flavors (especially the creole butter) tend to blend really well with the peanut oil. For just a boneless breast, as I did here, I've found the injection doesn't "stick" as well as the brine. I feel like the bone is a necessary, if unmentioned, element in a successful injection. Otherwise, the injected marinade (in my case, butcher bbq bird booster or chipotle), for my taste, seems to run out, rather than hang onto the meat. Especially since a boneless breast has two sections that tend to separate without the bone.

That being said, here was the final product. The first picture focused well and shows the breast after rest (ha! I'm a poet as well!). Behind it is the saved butter and turkey au jus from the foil. The second is out of focus. But, if you squint, cross your eyes, and drink a whiskey, you can see the smoke ring that extends down into 1/3 of the meat, and the juices shining. If you don't have whiskey, maybe tequila will work. Short of that, it'll look blurry.

In conclusion, I'll leave you with two thoughts. First and foremost, there were four adults, and this was a 4+ lb turkey breast. I ended up with 3 slices (1/8" thick) as leftovers. Finally, if you have not tried smoking a boneless turkey breast, you really should. It's really as simple as a turkey breast, salt, pepper, sugar (for the brine), and butter. Seriously, that's it. When it reaches the color you want, foil it, along with 1/3-1/2 cup of butter, and finish it to 160. It's fantastic and you'll wonder why you hadn't done it before.

As always, thanks for humoring me with the pics and, especially this time, the lack of focus!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:12 am

Sure looks good! I should have mentioned that I wrap the turkey breast 3 times with plastic wrap and inject through the wrap. It seems to hold the injection better. Works for me. Now you've got me curious. I think I'll do a side by side cook comparison. That'll be fun. :chef:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Looks delicious, TX!

I know what you're talking about with the uneven shape of the turkey. Same as chicken breast, but bigger. Doing some breast later on, so I slashed the thick part (I read about that somewhere), and we'll see if it works.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:25 pm

I know I'm certainly gonna do a Gobbler Breast a la Counselor very very soon. :tup: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:42 pm

That Turkey breast looks awesome TX :salut:

I was in my local grocer this morn and they had large bags of frozen Turkey wings.
I luv me hot chicken wings. Just wondering how hot and spicy Gobbler wings would work. Maybe to dry :?: :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Wild Bill, I recently did some (a) "Condor Wing Singular" aka Turkey Wing and I personally did not like it near like I do chicken wings. - - - - just not the same :dont:
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:54 am

I like it and could hide a few slices Señor turkey breast smoker.

We do turkey breast fairly often - I find them at our local HEB but they are not boneless. I don't normally brine or inject - Hoochie Mama is our rub of choice for poultry and a light smoke.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”