Just a thought from a beginner

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Re: Just a thought from a beginner

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:30 pm

I'll take a couple! :chef:
Moink!
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:13 am

What you need to do is push the gasser out to the curb and at least get a Kettle. Forget the chips in a gasser.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:29 am

Buy a cast iron egg pan, or something in the 4-6" range. Fill with some of your favorite UNSOAKED wood chips and place it on the flame in your gas grill, (below your cook grate!). Use this method to introduce real smoke to your propane cooks. I did this with my old gasser and had tremendous success. Guests would ask me where my smoker was because all they saw was the gas grill and there was NO WAY I was producing bbq like that with a propane grill. I told them my bbq is kept so secret, I hide my smoker so nobody could see it or me in action! Along with the BBQ; they ate every bit of that word. Lol
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:44 am

As Txdragon says, it CAN be done. No need to ( curb ) ur gasser, there is always a good use for one. When the time presents itself, using some type of charcoal/wood grill will definitely be optimal, but until then, Txdragon nailed the Perfect answer imho...
Last edited by woodenvisions on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:39 am

I smoked a brisket on my propane and it was a huge learning curve lol since It was my first ever smoke and brisket. It was fun and came out great. Not a big smoke ring but it did have plenty of flavor. Definetly learned not to soak the wood chips was what changed it. After that I had to buy a stick burner but If i used propane again I would try using those pellet tubes and give that a try. Good luck!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”