Smoking vension

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Smoking vension

Postby TexMike » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Howdy Folks,

I'm wanting to cook a venison hindquarter in the offset smoker. I'd like to get some ideas on rubs, baste and methods etc. Can anyone chime in with some ideas?

Thanks, Mike
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Smoking vension

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm

I'd like to see replies myself. Never cooked venison on a smoker.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Depends on your personal preference of doneness. I don't advise well done for venison at all. There's a happy spot between medium rare and medium. I've done salt, lemon pepper and rosemary for seasonings, but use what you like! It's a strong, resilient meat that can withstand a decent punch, so I tend to sway toward citrus.
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:36 am

Can't help you with smoking them, I've only done backstraps, usually running them under the mallet for a while, then flour, egg bread crumbs and in the cast with hot oil, then under a mound of mozz for Venison Parm...

Good luck, I'm curious how they come out.

Btw, I would still beat the wheels off of them with a mallet before you season and smoke them.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:13 am

T-Mike, your biggest enemy in doing Bambi Leg low and slow is getting it to "Dry" - - Venison is not known for marbling/fat/moisture so you need to possibly consider a water pan, injection possibly or cover with bacon so the fat constantly bastes the hind quarter - - - I tried to find a Youtube for you but had no luck which tells us something, eh? - - - - now, after rambling all of that, we have done them on the deer camp with "minor" success over charcoal indirectly but afterwards we always wished we'd just sliced and fried or quick seared it over coals with sauce at the finish. :dont:

I always preferred my shoulders and hind leg meat ground up into some of the best Smoked Sausage ever :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Ranchertx
Pilgrim

Postby Ranchertx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:55 am

We eat tons of Vinson and have all my life. Best thing to do with that hind quarter is to either cut it into steaks, or cube, or make HB out of it.
I have had very little luck smoking any of the deer quarters. It just does not have enough fat content, and will dry out long before it gets tender.

We cut Hams into 1/2 thick steams and grill them hot for 3 minutes per side. We also add beef fat and grind it for burger, or, cube it for stem or Asada.
You have some really good met there, hate to see it wasted.
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm

Well folks, you've kind of reinforced my thoughts about the hindquarter. I couldn't figure an elegant way to deal with the dryness. I thank you for your thoughts but I'm going to move this back for further research. :whiteflag:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:52 am

Good Luck AND if you discover any Bambi Smoking Secrets you'd better patent it before telling us Carnivorous Cooks. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”