Brikset first time in my offset

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

blackbeast
Pilgrim

Brikset first time in my offset

Postby blackbeast » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:47 am

Hi all, i m stef from switzerland/france , i visited for two weeks last year your beautiful state, when i come back i would try to do a brisket, but here my first problem was to find the meat, in europe the meat isn't cut in same than you, after ask too some butcher "i think" i have found one he delivery me a birsket, i think is only the flat,or maybe not the good piece of meat... but you will see...the weight of the parts was 3,5 LBS, after that i buy a little smoker not too expensive for beginning... i start at 6 am to be ready at 1 pm, and...it failed, i dont know why but it was not ready , i have digital thermometer on it , but not maybe in not in right position because when the meat reach 177 F at 1 pm i put on a butcher paper but when i put again the digital thermometer the meat was at 140F ...first problem, after that i left the meat and of course it take a long time and never finish...

next day i will put on my oven at 248F and you can see the picture not bad but not the best i try in your state...

if you have any suggestion i am here to learn...thank you very much

stef
the meat
the meat
the meat after rub
the smoker
the brisket the next day after oven
upload multiple pictures
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Brikset first time in my offset

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:41 am

Hi Stef, welcome !

Ur in the right place, so just hang tight and u'll get plenty of good ole Texas knowledge like no other site can give you. Just give the ladies & gents some time to wake up as it's still a little early @ the moment ok ?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:38 am

Welcome! The brisket is difficult to cook for the beginner, and even more difficult to get right if you are doing everything based on internal temperatures. That particular muscle has a lot of connective tissue that needs the right amount of heat and time to hit "perfection" For a kilo and a half piece of flat, cooking at 250°F, you will need some moist cook time as well. I think it is easier to learn how to cook brisket if you put it in a pan and cover it with foil during the last half of cooking, until you become really familiar with it. So do not feel bad for finishing in the oven like you did! Next time, just put it back on your smoker like that and you will be doing what many, MANY professionals do now!
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:14 am

Txdragon wrote:Welcome! The brisket is difficult to cook for the beginner, and even more difficult to get right if you are doing everything based on internal temperatures. That particular muscle has a lot of connective tissue that needs the right amount of heat and time to hit "perfection" For a kilo and a half piece of flat, cooking at 250°F, you will need some moist cook time as well. I think it is easier to learn how to cook brisket if you put it in a pan and cover it with foil during the last half of cooking, until you become really familiar with it. So do not feel bad for finishing in the oven like you did! Next time, just put it back on your smoker like that and you will be doing what many, MANY professionals do now!

Welcome aboard, blackbeast.

What TX said. Many people also speak of letting the meat get probe-tender (probe should slide into brisket with no resistance), rather than simply relying on temperature.

How did the results taste? Looks like you got a good smoke ring.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 am

Howdy, Stef, and Welcome :tup: may I ask what did you rub your brisket with before putting it on the Pit? Some use a liquid plus a dry rub and I was interested in what you might have used. Good to have you join us :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
blackbeast
Pilgrim

Postby blackbeast » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 am

Hi all thanks for your message...

Next time august when I come back from my vacation in your country...not Texas this time... I will use a pan with foil...and I will do my own rub...with that brisket I use this one : Oakridge BBQ Signature Edition Black OPS Brisket Rub - 6 oz

I but it last year in amaz....com

The result was not bad ...maybe not too much salt...

I preferd doing mine next time...
This time I do in the same ribs and brisket maybe is one problem too...ribs on upper grid and ribs was fine

For fire management I also have some prob...I need to add a lot of briquette too maintain temp...and after I have a lot of ash bellow the grid and the temp goes down....because no more air

I have also a lot of wind this day but I put hole on opposite side to avoid this wind, it was 9,4 mph to 20 mph gusty

I can use wood beech and briquette maybe next time...this Sunday I will do ribs only...

This time my brisket was 3,5 lbs if I use 1 and half hours by pounds it should take 5 hours max ...but it was absolutely not finish...

If any members has near tampa I will pay a small briket like this he can show me the right method ;-) of course with beer

Thanks for all smoking master ;-)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:48 am

I would suggest using a good quality Lump Charcoal like Royal Oak next time.
It will solve your ash problem, just my 2¢
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:39 am

The ash buildup under your fire grate is an unfortunate down side to using briquettes. I clear that ash out every couple hours on long cooks. I have a long spatula that works perfectly, or you can get a fireplace ash shovel as well.
blackbeast
Pilgrim

Postby blackbeast » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:14 am

Hi i always think briquette is better than lump...i try to remove ash but is hard because is not so large...I think maybe I can upper the grid a little bite no ?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:08 pm

blackbeast wrote:Hi i always think briquette is better than lump...i try to remove ash but is hard because is not so large...I think maybe I can upper the grid a little bite no ?

That is possible, yes!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”