Smoking Grass Feed brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

YumYumEatMUp
Pilgrim

Smoking Grass Feed brisket

Postby YumYumEatMUp » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:03 am

Hello- New Here - I've only smoked a grass fed Brisket once and it came out kinda dry. I expect that's because the meat was very lean, almost like game. My wife is on the "Grass Fed" wagon so I'm wondering if anyone can provide a few tips on the best way to smoke this very lean beef.

Thank you.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Smoking Grass Feed brisket

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:56 am

Welcome! Try to pick the fattest one you can find. If it looks too lean, it probably is. Use moist heat!
(Insert witty signature here)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:09 am

Welcome aboard. I cooked a grass fed ribeye a few weeks ago and was disappointed in the marbling. Seemed kinda tough as well. No idea if this has to do with the "grass fed" part or if it was just the cut but in going back to buying prime steaks from Costco.

As dragon said. Get a heavy marbled one if you can find it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am

If Grass Fed is ?supposed? to be healthier then, IMHO, wouldn't wanting moisture/juicyness/marbling defeat your purpose in purchasing that product :?: Sooooo wouldn't your only recourse be water pan or injecting :dont: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
YumYumEatMUp
Pilgrim

Postby YumYumEatMUp » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for the tips ! I hadn't even thought of the water tray or injecting. I've done a Boston Butt using injecting (an apple juice solution) and I can see that it should help. The grass fed briskets that I've seen, seem like the Point will be fine for smoking and maybe I should just cut off the flat and Crock pot it in a stew.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”