Brisket Weight and Price

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Aiden545
Pilgrim

Brisket Weight and Price

Postby Aiden545 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 am

Hi,

Sorry for creating another thread! I am looking for some advice.

I live in the UK and have just ordered a Brisket to smoke on my BBQ.

I have been quoted at £5 per KG, and I'm told the Brisket will be around 5KG.

Will that be the whole Brisket? I want the biggest slab of meat possible really.

Seems it'd be £25 for a whole Brisket. Seems cheap to me?

Also, they tell me it's on the bone. Is that what I want?

Thanks in advance!
MRob22
Pilgrim

Re: Brisket Weight and Price

Postby MRob22 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 am

Most briskets are in the 10 to 15 lb range and if I'm not mistaken 5kg is roughly 11 lbs so that should be the "whole thing" aka a packer. As far as it being on the bone that is not how they are sold typically. I have never seen one with a bone. Someone else may have better info for you but that should help you out
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:52 am

It sounds like your'e buying a shoulder roast bone in. A brisket does not have a bone. A full packer brisket usually weighs in at around 10 to 12 lbs. on the light side and up to 18 to 20 lbs. on the heavy side.
This is a brisket that weighs around 15 lbs.
2.jpg
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Aiden545
Pilgrim

Postby Aiden545 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks for the help everyone.

I did think it was weird that he said it comes with the bone. He said with the bone it's £5 per Kilo, whereas without the bone was £7.

So will this be a different cut? I want to cook brisket, am I buying the wrong thing? Or is it similar enough to not matter?

Sorry, I probably should've done some more research before ordering the biggest slab of meat imaginable :roll: :D :D
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:44 am

The brisket is more or less the pectoral muscle so you could consult a butchers chart to see the breakdown of the animal and talk to your butcher armed with some more info..
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:05 am

Aiden545 wrote:Thanks for the help everyone.

I did think it was weird that he said it comes with the bone. He said with the bone it's £5 per Kilo, whereas without the bone was £7.

So will this be a different cut? I want to cook brisket, am I buying the wrong thing? Or is it similar enough to not matter?

Sorry, I probably should've done some more research before ordering the biggest slab of meat imaginable :roll: :D :D

If it is a shoulder roast or clod it will cook like a brisket but it is not a brisket. A clod consists of several muscles of the shoulder A full packer brisket consists of two muscles and no bone.
I believe you are getting part of the chuck.
US_Beef_cuts-56a20f1b5f9b58b7d0c62024.jpg

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Aiden545
Pilgrim

Postby Aiden545 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 am

k.a.m. wrote:

If it is a shoulder roast or clod it will cook like a brisket but it is not a brisket. A clod consists of several muscles of the shoulder A full packer brisket consists of two muscles and no bone.

Is it still worth getting? Or should I wait until I can get a brisket? I imagine it's personal preference but I really wanted Brisket - already got my mates coming over, can't let them down now! :lol:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:20 am

Aiden545 wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Is it still worth getting? Or should I wait until I can get a brisket? I imagine it's personal preference but I really wanted Brisket - already got my mates coming over, can't let them down now! :lol:

It is worth getting if you cannot get a brisket and your friends are expecting BBQ. While a shoulder is great it is not brisket but in my opinion holds its own in flavor. If your'e set on serving your friends brisket then you know the answer already if you want to have friends over for a BBQ explain to them the butcher screwed up and this is what we are having. ;)

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 am

Yup, no bone in brisket. But chuck has good flavor itself and might actually be a teeny bit easier to Q. At least for us it has been.

KAM's chart is a great tool...study it!
Moink!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”