Low Sodium Sauce and Rub

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Low Sodium Sauce and Rub

Postby TexMike » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:03 pm

Well my doctor has given me the sad news. I've got to go on a low sodium diet. That's a blow to someone who likes their que. So I'm hoping that someone has come up with some low salt rubs and sauces. Any ideas out there? :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Low Sodium Sauce and Rub

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 pm

My D.I.L. has been dealing with this for years and my Son has a lot of good low to no salt substitutes that he uses. I'll give him a shout and get him to email me a few - - - I'm a salt addict but I do a turkey for them every year and I have a no sodium injection that "they" say is the best ever turkey they've had. Don't give up on me cause I need to get in touch with him and he's got his hands full at the moment. Hang in there and Good Luck with this. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 pm

OK, T-Mike, we're in luck - - - I managed to catch my son heading home in rush hour traffic so he had "lots" of time to talk. First thing he said was that Webers was putting out some low sodium seasonings and they were supposed to be real good. Secondly he mentioned Fiesta Brand seasonings for Fajita, Chicken and Brisket that he really liked - - - he even uses the fajita seasoning on veggies. He also found SuckleBusters Chipotle Sauce to be sodium friendly for his wife's needs also and uses it on wings a lot. Last thing we talked about was Krogers Brand low salt seasonings that are numerous and there are several that he liked.

In closing he said to tell you to not try and find a salt "Substitute" but to look for a seasoning that you liked so much (aka cracked pepper or ETC) that you didn't notice the salt was missing :laughing7: :D :lol: I also told him to email me if he thought of anything else that might help you. :tup:

GOOD LUCK :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 pm

OUP,

Many thanks for the good information. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Now if I can find a good low sodium sauce. :?:

Mike
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 am

You're welcome and so glad I could help :tup: If you can't find a Commercial Sauce that works for you, you may just have to make your own - - - - last month strictly on a "WHIM" and a comment from Sooner I decided to use some of our "abundant figs that we don't eat" to make a Fig and Pepper BBQ Sauce - - - I googled it and one of Aaron Franklin's recipes came up :shock: - - - soooooo anyhow those are just some thoughts for you.

One more thought, if I may ? If you decide to make your own sauce, then consider making the base ingredient from something that you and your family really like - - - such as Peaches, Honey, Apple, Chipotles, Jalapenos or whatever - - - I'm sure you see my motive here - - good luck :tup:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:56 am

I know people sometimes substitute lemon for salt. Not that it does the same thing, but it does brighten up flavors. I used to make my own lemon pepper when my preferred brand apparently became a banned substance. ;)

I would peel a lemon really thin, then put the peels in a small pan with whole peppercorns and some really big salt crystals. Might have been sea salt. The oven light dried them out, then I put everything in a grinder.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:04 pm

Hey Mike, I just got an email from my oldest with this pic of some "No Salt" brisket and pulled pork he did today. He said it was all good and he did it on his offset stick pit probably with the salt free Fiesta Seasoning he really likes.
NoSaltBBQ.jpg

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”