Birthday Help

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Birthday Help

Postby rickhdz36 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:45 am

Hey Fellas,

So I am in a pickle lol My sons birthday (also mine but its more for him) is next month. We are going to throw him a party and he is only turning 2 so to him this probably wont matter. Since none of our family actually lives here they'll be driving or flying down. I was thinking of showing them some central tx bbq. I want to do 2 briskets and sides. The party is going to start around 4 or 5 in the afternoon with maybe about 30 guest.

So here is the trick, I am coming from working possibly 3 weeks straight being saturday (day of party) my first day off. Im guessing around a 14 hour cook at the MOST. So possibly starting at midnight or earlier to get this done. My previous smokes were for a couple friends and family coming down, nothing serious. Am I getting in over my head? I still need to buy the wood which im prolly going to get 1/2 cord.

Also thinking smoking until the stall and tossing it in the oven to grab some Z's or help with anything else in the party.

Backup plan: hotdogs and burgers
My wifes back up plan: Pizza

Tips would be appreciated

:whiteflag:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Birthday Help

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:54 am

I know it doesn't necessarily show off your skills but given your schedule it might be worth smoking in advance, chopping, freezing and serving chopped beef sandwiches. Like I said, I know it's not what you really want but it may relieve some stress and allow to enjoy the day more.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and don't forget about the TXBBBQF support system you have here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 am

What size cooker? (You may have to rotate the briskets if your'e on a small cooker.)
How hot do you cook?
Two 15 lb. briskets will feed 30 guests with sides. ( Aim for upper end choice or prime.)
These times are if you wrap in foil or pan and foil cover.
At 250°/275° your'e looking at about a 7 to 8 hour cook.
At 275°/325° about 6 hours.
Have the briskets on at 5:00 A.M. you should be resting briskets at around 1:00 P.M.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:59 am

bsooner75 wrote:I know it doesn't necessarily show off your skills but given your schedule it might be worth smoking in advance, chopping, freezing and serving chopped beef sandwiches. Like I said, I know it's not what you really want but it may relieve some stress and allow to enjoy the day more.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and don't forget about the TXBBBQF support system you have here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that is an option. I was thinking of just warming it up later but I do not have a vacuum sealer? do they sell larger freezer bags?

k.a.m. wrote:What size cooker? (You may have to rotate the briskets if your'e on a small cooker.)
How hot do you cook?
Two 15 lb. briskets will feed 30 guests with sides. ( Aim for upper end choice or prime.)
These times are if you wrap in foil or pan and foil cover.
At 250°/275° your'e looking at about a 7 to 8 hour cook.
At 275°/325° about 6 hours.
Have the briskets on at 5:00 A.M. you should be resting briskets at around 1:00 P.M.

16" original OJ. Yeah I was looking at rotating them maybe every hour or more depending on how they are looking. My convection plate actually keeps the temps pretty even.
Thinking of doing 225-250 and if i leave on the smoker i am going to wrap it in butcher paper same if i toss it in the oven. If im running out of time ill probably foil it.

I need to go check out costco to see what they have and price wise. If not ill just grab 2 from HEB.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:36 pm

K.A.M. certainly nailed the time and temps. At 250, I would recommend foiling them the last half of the cook and raising the temp to 300 if you wanna see the 8 hour mark. (This is my regular brisket method).. Cooking 2 briskets on the Okie Joe is doable, but you'll certainly need to babysit a bit during the cook.
8 hour cook: rotate their grill position 2 hours in.. Back one to the front, front to the back (back being the exhaust end, front is Firebox end)
2 more hours like so, then FOIL wrap em, or pan and foil cover with a bit of water, beer, beer/water, ACV/water... Some liquid in the pan, whatever you choose.. About 1/2" or so coverage..
Raise temp to 300 and let them cruise! 4 hours later you should be good to go.
(Insert witty signature here)
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Save yourself some grief and cook some ribs and sausage, they will love it just the same. 5 to 6 hour cook at the most. My two cents. I can picture your son chowing down on a saucy rib bone!
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks Txdragon for the tips. That might be the plan I go with. 8 hours does not sound bad at all. especially when I got to make sides too.

Limey I would do ribs except they are hit and miss around here. Sometimes I can grab some with good amount of meat on them and sometimes they wont have enough. I dont think my smoker would hold the amount of ribs ill need for the amount of people I need to feed.
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:02 am

Where do you live? As much as I love brisket and want to impress guests, I also like my sanity and would pick my battles. Maybe you can farm out the brisket task to Rudy's or someplace while you do other simple stuff like sausage and chicken and sides. That way you can get some sleep, still keep your man card and still serve food you cooked.

Nobody is going to think less of you for serving them Rudys.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:37 am

You can leave the foiled briskets in the oven at 190 after reaching 190 internal for hours and hours, they just get more tender..
So you could smoke them till say midnight, foil and place in oven and go to bed, leave them in the oven till it's time to eat the next day.
No need to lose sleep, or not much anyway.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 pm

rockinar wrote:Where do you live? As much as I love brisket and want to impress guests, I also like my sanity and would pick my battles. Maybe you can farm out the brisket task to Rudy's or someplace while you do other simple stuff like sausage and chicken and sides. That way you can get some sleep, still keep your man card and still serve food you cooked.

Everything at Rudy's is awesome EXCEPT their bbq...

rockinar is now minus cool points!!
(Insert witty signature here)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Txdragon wrote:
rockinar wrote:Where do you live? As much as I love brisket and want to impress guests, I also like my sanity and would pick my battles. Maybe you can farm out the brisket task to Rudy's or someplace while you do other simple stuff like sausage and chicken and sides. That way you can get some sleep, still keep your man card and still serve food you cooked.

Everything at Rudy's is awesome EXCEPT their bbq...

rockinar is now minus cool points!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man up!!!! Nobody said BBQ was easy. Cook it hot and fast pay attention and it will work out.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am

Well I actually had prices from Franklin's, Louie Mueller's and terry's black because my friend was going to do that for his party prior to his wedding and well for 1 brisket I can make 2 at home with sides.

Yeah I am just going to buck up and get it done. I am use to lack of sleep and i know at the end of the day as long as i have brisket in my mouth it'll be worth it.

Thanks everyone for the input and tips. I am glad i didn't have to make it an 14 hour cook.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:16 am

Well Folks this saturday is finally the day. Going brisket shopping on thursday and wood is being delivered today. I am getting excited and hoping all turns out fine. :salut:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”