Chicken 'n' Sausage Test Run

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Chicken 'n' Sausage Test Run

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:30 pm

It's raining, but never mind. We wanted to test-drive this stuff for a future Q, so we did.

275°-300° on the Weber kettle for an hour or so, and oak for smoke. Italian sausage with fennel, bone-in, skin-on thighs marinated in a Greek dressing my local super puts out. Direct-browned for a few minutes after it temped.

Sausage was amazing (just a relish of mustard, onyawn 'n' chopped dill pickle). Chicken had awesome color, very tasty, skin a bit rubbery, though.

No couscous, no orzo, just good ol' tater salad. :laughing7:

Gonna do this again soooon.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Chicken 'n' Sausage Test Run

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Everything looks great :tup: :cheers: What brand links are those :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Looks awesome !!

As for the skin, may I suggest taking them off the smoke about 140/145 and crank up the heat to 500 or so until ur target temp if u can.
That usually gives a great crispy bite thru skin.
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:58 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Everything looks great :tup: :cheers: What brand links are those :?:

A local mini-chain called Uncle Giuseppe makes and sells them, sweet, hot and with fennel. We always look for the ones with fennel seed; they're in short supply!
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Dang, I was 'fraid dey wuz Local - - - hard to find those in the chain Gros around here. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Looks darn right eadible to me Sailor, rubbery skin or not :salut:

Bill
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:06 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Looks awesome !!

As for the skin, may I suggest taking them off the smoke about 140/145 and crank up the heat to 500 or so until ur target temp if u can.
That usually gives a great crispy bite thru skin.

That's a good suggestion, WV. I would have to move it onto my gas rig (from the Weber Kettle) to finish it at a high temp.
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Dang, I was 'fraid dey wuz Local - - - hard to find those in the chain Gros around here. :salut:

Got any pork stores? Italian delis? Just mmmayyybeee they'd have a similar product.
Moink!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Oh ok, I've never used a kettle before. Is there any type of ( drop down ) basket that can be used to get ur food closer to the coals ?

I've always wanted a kettle, just never pulled out the wallet yet :(
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Might try this, Sailor - - - on my next Steak, I'm gonna punch holes in this foil Pan (see pic) and put my Lump coals in it instead of in the bottom of my fire pan then if it works, I'll fab, buy or invent something more permanent - - - POINT IS: you could put something under (?brick?) the pan to raise it closer to your grilling grate in the Kettle. :dont:
IMG_0003.JPG
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:56 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Oh ok, I've never used a kettle before. Is there any type of ( drop down ) basket that can be used to get ur food closer to the coals ?

I've always wanted a kettle, just never pulled out the wallet yet :(

The Weber Kettle doesn't have any drop-down or grill height adjustment. All I can do on it is move the meat from the indirect zone to the direct zone, right over the coals I use 2 coal baskets (shown in the original grill photo, above), separated by a drip tray to produce the indirect zone in the middle.

The Weber Kettle is pretty versatile, even with it's limited heat control. I've used it to smoke ribs and such.

OUP: That's an interesting idea. Since I already use coal baskets on the Weber Kettle, I could just throw a brick under each one and make the direct zone (over the coals) that much hotter. But I still keep my indirect zone. The only drawback would be a higher grill temp for indirect, unless I compensate for that.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:08 pm

I think ur Both on to something right there :) ^^^^^^^
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm lazy. All I do with my Weber is pour the coals on one side for direct, and use the other side for indirect. I move the vent (on the lid) around depending on what I'm trying to do. Dunno if it makes any difference, but it makes me feel as if I'm doing something. :dont:
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Most of the times I prefer my ECB over my Kettle (just me I guess) and when I quick/hot grill on it the fire pan is about half way up in the Unit with the top grate dropped down about 3" - - - this also means that the bottom has about 2 feet of wide open space under it when cooking and has air circulation from there also.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Looks nice grub, I had a couple of sausages aka links last night, pork lemon and parsley, they were beautiful. We love sausages here.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”