Newbie needs help with fire

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Beltboy
Pilgrim

Newbie needs help with fire

Postby Beltboy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Ok experts, be nice!!
So I really want to get into smokers, but couldn't find a good smoker to start with..( though pretty sure I am going to order a Johnson now :P ). Meanwhile to get started I went ahead and bought a Chat grilled competition offset from HD...
I've tried 4 times to practice the fire management... first time couldn't get it hot enough... second time couldn't get it hot enough..so added more coals to the ashes then three logs,,, fire got way big... and eventually burned down enough to have used but that was Hours later.. next two times... started with coals until hot ash.. put one log on and it catches fire burns with fire till half way through then I closed fire box lid with dampers wide open but that kills fire and eventually log... or log basically turns to amber with little burn and no heat...

I am using pecan I got at gourmet woods.. but wondering if it may not be dry enough... or does this starter smoker just suck??? I know I suck but 2 sucks = possible give up!!!

This is a pic of attempt 4 today... got to three logs all on fire then closed lid and dampers wide open. It again killed the fire and heat!!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Newbie needs help with fire

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Don't see your photo, the best way to help you is to see one. If there is an issue posting photos, Gator can help you with that if you send him a PM.

That said, from what I am getting out of your commentary it sounds like you'r firebox might be starving for oxygen. If this is an offset smoker as I thought I read, try doing more than keeping the dampers open, crack the door open as well. I often do that with my shop built offset. But only way to know for sure is to see a picture of your cooker, preferably in action.

Pecan is a great word for beef, you may want to try Hickory for pork and chicken. Pecan burns very mellow and a little cool and definitely a little faster. Hickory is hotter, a little sweeter and being harder burns much longer.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Newbie needs help with fire

Postby limey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:01 pm

I always start by getting a chimney stater full of charcoal. When i see a flame coming out of the top I carefully dump the chimney in the firebox, I then place one split of your wood choice on top of the red hot coals. You may need to leave the firebox door open for a few minutes but I gaurantee the wood will be burning before you know it. The wood split may last half an hour to an hour depending on your smoker and the amount of oxygen or air flowing through your firebox vents. Repeat adding splits once your coal base starts going down. I always tell everyone the hardest part of cooking is maintaing a good fire and I still have issues depending on the wind and other weather issues. Hope this helps you out.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”