A bunch of firsts for me with whole chickens

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dogtag34 USER_AVATAR
DogTag34
Wrangler

A bunch of firsts for me with whole chickens

Postby DogTag34 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Well after some tips from this forum I got after it yesterday and did a lot of first time things for me. So the firsts for me?
1. First whole chicken
2. First spatchcock
3. First time to brine
4. First time smoker above 250

So I was outta my comfort zone for sure but excited to expand the horizons....I've learned here you guys want pics. Here was what I did and feel free to suggest changes as that's why I'm here.

After setting in brine for 11 hours I rinsed and placed in refrigerator uncovered for 2 hours to dry out the skin a bit. I then rubbed with some east Texas john Henry's pecan rub.
IMG_1149.JPG

I set the smoker for 300 added 1 piece of pecan wood fist size and put the birdies in their nest.
IMG_1150.JPG

Checked them after an hour
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG

Pulled at proper temp- let them rest and sliced up one for dinner. The other for various meals this week, chicken salad, enchiladas etc.
IMG_1155.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG

The results: skin was crispy as intended on thighs, slightly crispy over breast. Brining makes a noticeable difference and I am a believer now. Sometimes I try things and don't notice a true difference- but brining works well. Loved the rub. Smoker was a champ, I was closely monitoring as this is hotter than I have ever gone.....low was 300 degrees the high was 304 degrees...truly dead on the duration of cook. The taste.....juicy but not any smokiness. I like slight smoke so I wasn't looking or wanting much. At 300 did it burn my one chunk up to fast? Any tips appreciated....I feel I need to modify my method a little....thank you...
Stumps Junior Gravity Feed Smoker - 'Ole Blue'
Blaze Kamado
Alfa Ciao wood fired pizza oven
Blackstone builtin griddle
Coyote Pellet grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: A bunch of firsts for me with whole chickens

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:05 pm

bird looks Larapin Good :salut: :cheers: and like most of us, even tho something tastes great "WE" always feel "it could be better" - - - - guess that's the nature of the BBQ Beast :roll: :laughing7: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Chicken looks good. How hard was the spatchcock to do? Been wanting to do one for a while just haven't got the guts to screw up a chicken yet......Funny, I screw with $50 briskets all the time but get intimidated by a $6 chicken :dont:

As far as smoke flavor.....how does the fire work in that contraption? I have an insulated cabinet that is very similar in appearance (shup Russ :lol: ) but has a firebox at the bottom. I put lump charcoal and different types of wood chunks in there and the smoke passes through the reverse flow chimney and out the top of the cook chamber. I have experimented with different wood chunks and lump to get different flavors. Mesquite and oak are good on beef. On poultry and pork I have been using hickory lump and cherry chunks with good results.
dogtag34 USER_AVATAR
DogTag34
Wrangler

Postby DogTag34 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:49 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Chicken looks good. How hard was the spatchcock to do? Been wanting to do one for a while just haven't got the guts to screw up a chicken yet......Funny, I screw with $50 briskets all the time but get intimidated by a $6 chicken :dont:

As far as smoke flavor.....how does the fire work in that contraption? I have an insulated cabinet that is very similar in appearance (shup Russ :lol: ) but has a firebox at the bottom. I put lump charcoal and different types of wood chunks in there and the smoke passes through the reverse flow chimney and out the top of the cook chamber. I have experimented with different wood chunks and lump to get different flavors. Mesquite and oak are good on beef. On poultry and pork I have been using hickory lump and cherry chunks with good results.

There is a charcoal chute running top to bottom on the right side- that's the fire- its gravity fed. The charcoal burns on a grate above a wood box....as the charcoal embers fall through the grate it smokes the wood beneath and passes into the cook chamber. Do you think I used too little wood or should I have gone with something stronger?
Stumps Junior Gravity Feed Smoker - 'Ole Blue'
Blaze Kamado
Alfa Ciao wood fired pizza oven
Blackstone builtin griddle
Coyote Pellet grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Hey Sooner, cheap investment and MANY uses including Spatchcocking a Chicken.
IMG_0021.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
88rxna
Rustler

Postby 88rxna » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:19 pm

http://virtualweberbullet.com/butterflychicken.html
Watch this video in how to spatchcock a chicken...makes it so easy once you see it done!
Hope it helps!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
88rxna
Rustler

Postby 88rxna » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Latest Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears - Award Winning Best Multi-Purpose Utility Scissors for Chicken, Poultry, Fish, Meat, Vegetables, Herbs, and BBQ's - As Sharp As Any Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DUEATJY/re ... yzbK8KSS9V

These aren't cheap but work wonderful!
It's what I use.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks guys!

DogTag34 - will it run on lump charcoal? That'll give you some more smoke flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:17 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Chicken looks good. How hard was the spatchcock to do? Been wanting to do one for a while just haven't got the guts to screw up a chicken yet......Funny, I screw with $50 briskets all the time but get intimidated by a $6 chicken :dont:

Lol, never said a word.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Looks like it came out really good!
Moink!
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Looks great from here, yeah I would use more wood chunks until you get your desired flavor. I myself hate it over smoked. Great job on the birds. :cheers:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”