Smoked Bologna

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoked Bologna

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:25 am

I hear ya sooner. My best friend had recconected with an old high school sweetheart and moved up there, and she happened to own a BBQ seasoning company. I went up there for a visit and they took me out to this cook off as she was wanting to visit with some her clients, one of which was the guy doing to the whole stuffed bologna. I wish I could give Boots the details and have him put it into words for me. My buddy has since passed, and she has sold the seasoning company. But it is still in business up there. Her name is Pam Adkins of Adkins seasoning. I still use some of there stuff today along with sucklebusters.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 am

bsooner75 wrote:
Boots wrote:So that's what I thought was ham...

Traders village was (is?) in Grand Prairie.

When o was a kid my Dad told us that was steak :)

It's still there. Haven't been in forever but it's still over there. Haven't had an urge to buy a hot stereo or boot leg movie in about 20 years :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do go, take an interpreter with you. It's predominately Hispanic now. I quit going when in the very back they were selling goats, cutting their throats and loading them in the trunks of cars. I don't need a deal that bad.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:35 am

My invite must have got lost in the mail. Man I love smoked bologna. :rose:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 am

GRailsback wrote:I hear ya sooner. My best friend had recconected with an old high school sweetheart and moved up there, and she happened to own a BBQ seasoning company. I went up there for a visit and they took me out to this cook off as she was wanting to visit with some her clients, one of which was the guy doing to the whole stuffed bologna. I wish I could give Boots the details and have him put it into words for me. My buddy has since passed, and she has sold the seasoning company. But it is still in business up there. Her name is Pam Adkins of Adkins seasoning. I still use some of there stuff today along with sucklebusters.

Adkins is great. It is my go to rib rub at the moment. I have to make a Sucklebusters order soon tho. But Win Co, where we do most of our grocery shopping has all the Adkins spices in Bulk by weight. I've got a few pounds of it I need to use before ordering.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:53 am

Are you using the chicken and rib rub, or the western style bbq rub? I have used that western style bbq rub a lot. But have leaned more to sucklebusters hog waller for ribs. And been using sb spg on briskets with some added pepper. But what I use a lot of is adkins mesquite fajita seasoning. It goes well with chicken and steaks.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:58 am

GRailsback wrote:Are you using the chicken and rib rub, or the western style bbq rub? I have used that western style bbq rub a lot. But have leaned more to sucklebusters hog waller for ribs. And been using sb spg on briskets with some added pepper. But what I use a lot of is adkins mesquite fajita seasoning. It goes well with chicken and steaks.

This is the only one I current keep, and use it exclusively on just about anything pork. I tried a couple of other ones they offer but they all tend to run a little sweet for my taste, especially for beef. I'm a dalmation rub with a couple other goodies for beef.
Attachments
Adkins.jpg
Adkins.jpg (28.96 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:06 am

Yes, that is a good product right there. It is good on brisket as well, but it is sugar based. And a lot of people son't like sugar on there briskets. There louisiana style fish fry is decent as well, not sure if they still offer that product though. I used to get all of that stuff for free, now I have to buy it.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am

[quote="GRailsback"]Yes, that is a good product right there. It is good on brisket as well, but it is sugar based. And a lot of people son't like sugar on there briskets. There louisiana style fish fry is decent as well, not sure if they still offer that product though. I used to get all of that stuff for free, now I have to buy it.[/quot

Ever feel like experimenting give this a shot:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/slap-ya ... id=4179720
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 am

I'll check it out. Although that is a lot of fish fry for no more than I use. Going to cook up some halibut this time home. Not sure if I will fry it, or grill it, or blacken it.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 am

GRailsback wrote:I'll check it out. Although that is a lot of fish fry for no more than I use. Going to cook up some halibut this time home. Not sure if I will fry it, or grill it, or blacken it.

Smaller sizes available. Any and all cooking methods sound good. :salut: :salut:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 am

Yo Outlaw - - - question on the SYM fish fry, if I may ?

Does it have a Flour or Meal Base - - - meaning powdery or gritty :?: :?: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Hahahaha!! Now I'm gonna have to explain to my wife on why we have a big ol' bologna log in our grocery basket this weekend!!!
(Insert witty signature here)
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Yo Outlaw - - - question on the SYM fish fry, if I may ?

Does it have a Flour or Meal Base - - - meaning powdery or gritty :?: :?: :?:

It is more powdery than gritty, but it does have a little texture. I would akin it to maybe 3 to 1 flour to fine corn meal mix. Very tasty as you can imagine with SYM in it. They used to have a variety that had lemon flavoring in it as well. Sling about half that, and half SYM and your tongue would beat a hole in the roof of your mouth trying to get more.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:33 pm

OUP, which do you prefer?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:52 pm

One of my former neighbors and long time friend was French Arcadian and she turned me onto corn flour for shrimp and since then, I prefer and ONLY use Corn Flour BUT when I'm frying fish or okra for S.W.M.B.O. her's gets done in Cornmeal - - - you might say that I have to be an AC/DC Cook :whiteflag: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”