Smoked Bologna

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Smoked Bologna

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:21 am

Now that the Throwdown is over I wanted to post the smoked Bologna I did on the 4th. Also smoked brats and a butt but the Bologna was a show stealer. Wish I had got more than one pick. Super easy. Bought a log at WalMart (as much as I hate going in that place) cut it in half and scored it. Rubbed with Meat Church The Holy Gospel and Sauced with Sucklebusters Honey Sauce. Killer combo. Smoked for 2 hrs then sauced and let it go for another 30 - 45 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoked Bologna

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:57 am

Oscar Mayer ain't got nuthin on that bad boy right there !!!!
Nice lookin Buh Logg Nuh there :)
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:33 am

I saw a guy years ago at the traders village cook off up in Dallas, or where ever that traders village is up there, take a whole bologna, took a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe and cored out the middle of it. Then he stuffed the middle with pimento cheese. And re-plugged the end up with a chunk that was part of the core and smoked it. It made quite the sammy.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:48 am

GRailsback wrote:I saw a guy years ago at the traders village cook off up in Dallas, or where ever that traders village is up there, take a whole bologna, took a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe and cored out the middle of it. Then he stuffed the middle with pimento cheese. And re-plugged the end up with a chunk that was part of the core and smoked it. It made quite the sammy.

Really wish you hadn't told me that… :)

Now the wheels are turning.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:04 am

It was pretty unique at the time. The middle that he cored out he used to re-plug the end, and the rest he cooked up and just cut it up for snacks. I had a half of sammy, it was pretty good. But I guess you could stuff it with what ever you wanted to. Just need to re-plug it so it all doesn't run out.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:18 pm

bsooner75 wrote:
GRailsback wrote:I saw a guy years ago at the traders village cook off up in Dallas, or where ever that traders village is up there, take a whole bologna, took a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe and cored out the middle of it. Then he stuffed the middle with pimento cheese. And re-plugged the end up with a chunk that was part of the core and smoked it. It made quite the sammy.

Yup.. And mine just spun right out the door. Smoked Jalapeño cheddar stuffed bologna coming to a smoker real soon!!
(Insert witty signature here)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 pm

Txdragon wrote:[quote="bsooner75"][quote="GRailsback"]I saw a guy years ago at the traders village cook off up in Dallas, or where ever that traders village is up there, take a whole bologna, took a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe and cored out the middle of it. Then he stuffed the middle with pimento cheese. And re-plugged the end up with a chunk that was part of the core and smoked it. It made quite the sammy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yup.. And mine just spun right out the door. Smoked Jalapeño cheddar stuffed bologna coming to a smoker real soon!![/quote]

LOL - Bologna Throwdown?

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:40 pm

I suspect the combinations are endless on what you want to stuff it with. The guy I saw do that would cut the slices fairly thick. Then he would plug it back up and put it back on the smoker to stay warm or hot. And I don't remember that he really had much in the way of condiments to go with it. Seems as though it was bread and bologna stuffed with pimento cheese.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Many years ago there was a BBQ place near lake Lewisville that injected theirs w/ BBQ sauce and then smoked. It was pretty good stuff.

texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:01 pm

I love BBQ bologna :laughing7: I'm surprised that I don't see more at BBQ joints. It's hard to beat a BBQ bologna sammy served with Frito's and a Big Red. Jeez, My mouth is watering. :chef: I've had the one at lake Lewisville. I beleave it was Al's BBQ. It sold out and has a new owner and name. Sadly no more BBQ bologna. :(
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:24 pm

It was 20 years ago when I saw this guy do that. And I haven't seen it since either. But I suspect we will see some photos soon. I remember it plain as day. Because the entire day that day was a great story.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:03 pm

TexMike wrote:I love BBQ bologna :laughing7: I'm surprised that I don't see more at BBQ joints. It's hard to beat a BBQ bologna sammy served with Frito's and a Big Red. Jeez, My mouth is watering. :chef: I've had the one at lake Lewisville. I beleave it was Al's BBQ. It sold out and has a new owner and name. Sadly no more BBQ bologna. :(

I believe you are correct. My Dad and I would stop there leaving the fishing barge.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:12 pm

So that's what I thought was ham...

Traders village was (is?) in Grand Prairie.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:21 am

bsooner75 wrote:
Txdragon wrote:[quote="bsooner75"][quote="GRailsback"]I saw a guy years ago at the traders village cook off up in Dallas, or where ever that traders village is up there, take a whole bologna, took a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe and cored out the middle of it. Then he stuffed the middle with pimento cheese. And re-plugged the end up with a chunk that was part of the core and smoked it. It made quite the sammy.

Yup.. And mine just spun right out the door. Smoked Jalapeño cheddar stuffed bologna coming to a smoker real soon!![/quote]

LOL - Bologna Throwdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Really? As much as I love BBQ bologna you have to post this?? I was thinking about a butt on the egg this weekend, now I know what I am going to do instead.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 am

Boots wrote:So that's what I thought was ham...

Traders village was (is?) in Grand Prairie.

When o was a kid my Dad told us that was steak :)

It's still there. Haven't been in forever but it's still over there. Haven't had an urge to buy a hot stereo or boot leg movie in about 20 years :)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”