First PP this weekend

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: First PP this weekend

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:59 am

1 lb. = 1 hour at 275 with no wrapping. So roughly 7 hours. I'd start it 9 hours ahead of time, then wrap it in a blanket, or put in a small cooler to stay warm. Allow extra time, because it is done when it's done -- every cook varies a bit.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
RUBYRW
Rustler

Postby RUBYRW » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Sounds good...you said cook unwrapped....but once it's done...then wrap and place in cooler?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:58 pm

For me, no sense in mopping, injecting, brining any piece of pork I intend on pulling. Why? Because I'm just gonna shred it all up and add my stuff at the end. I don't let it rest for any reason other than tolerable heat levels to handle. Season it up (honestly, even this part is optional at this stage), cook it until the bone slides out clean, let it cool down so you don't burn the fingers, shred it like nobody's business! Then add some of your favorite sauce, mop, and/or seasonings; whatever you wish, to the bowl of shredded pork and give it a mix. Enjoy!
In my opinion, seasoning at the end is best. You can give it some salt and pepper before cooking to help develop some bark.
Have fun with it!
(Insert witty signature here)
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:25 am

Txdragon wrote:For me, no sense in mopping, injecting, brining any piece of pork I intend on pulling. Why? Because I'm just gonna shred it all up and add my stuff at the end. I don't let it rest for any reason other than tolerable heat levels to handle. Season it up (honestly, even this part is optional at this stage), cook it until the bone slides out clean, let it cool down so you don't burn the fingers, shred it like nobody's business! Then add some of your favorite sauce, mop, and/or seasonings; whatever you wish, to the bowl of shredded pork and give it a mix. Enjoy!
In my opinion, seasoning at the end is best. You can give it some salt and pepper before cooking to help develop some bark.
Have fun with it!

I have nearly always added some rub, and some times inject, (mainly because I had something new I wanted to try) but I have to agree. Doesn't seem to make that much difference in the finished product when seasoning by your method. I use a set of these for pulling:
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 am

outlaw wrote:
I have nearly always added some rub, and some times inject, (mainly because I had something new I wanted to try) but I have to agree. Doesn't seem to make that much difference in the finished product when seasoning by your method. I use a set of these for pulling:

Oh definitely. Rub prior to cooking goes to build your bark. Other than that, in terms of logic, the rest just seems like somebody washing, waxing and detailing a car right before they take it to the demolition derby.
I also use the bear claws!! I love those things!!
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”