Best price on beef plate ribs (in Texas)?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Best price on beef plate ribs (in Texas)?

Postby Chasdev » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:34 am

Checked prices at HEB yesterday and they are up to $7.21 per lb. and that is officially out of my price range.
For some reason if they cut them into "short ribs" the price goes down under $6.00 per lb...funny how adding a labor charge lowers the price..
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Best price on beef plate ribs (in Texas)?

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:37 am

CD, for a minute I thought I had the answer but after checking the sale paper with my glasses on I discovered they were "boneless" - - - - have you check your local Fiesta Food Mart :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 am

I'm a little shy of buying raw meat at the one near my house, sort of reminds me of a street market in Mexico..
I know that's probably racist but I'm concerned about freshness and food safety..
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 am

I don't find that Racist at all, just cautious and wise :tup: :salut:

We have one here that's in an older part of Conroe and I'm sure there are some that are reluctant in going there but I find their meat market to be very good with a wide variety and fair prices. :cheers:

However, there's a lot of Markets out there that I shy from as I suspect a lot of our Members here experience the same in their locations. :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:27 am

The price of beef ribs has soared with the popularity of BBQ. You won't find them any cheaper, from my experience. Now if you are willing to buy a case, Sam's Club sells them for $5.77 a pound, but you are looking at a $400+ outlay.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:29 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:The price of beef ribs has soared with the popularity of BBQ.

I think folks use ANY excuse they can grab to hike prices up..
"We don't sell _______ that often, so it's a bit higher priced."

"We can't keep ______ on the shelf, so it's priced higher."

"There's a ______ shortage in ______ so it's priced higher."

"Saturn's moon's are all aligned with the hominid meteor band, so it's priced higher."

:roll:
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:05 am

Yup, the game seems to have turned to ( Scallops ) lately. It's pretty disheartening when i get excited to see a sign that advertises ( SALE !!! Sea Scallops 15.99$ a lb ) when i know they are usually 20$ ^^ normally...
And Lobster tails....... Might as well sell my car for a nice Lobster dinner...
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:33 am

That reminds me of the story of how lobster got popular and expensive.
It used to be trash and fed to prisoners in the pen, to the extent that they complained about having to eat it all the time..
Somebody started PR campaign, I think it was railroad related, to get the word out on how rare and expensive it really was/should be, and after a few years rich folk discovered it and prices were jacked.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:43 am

Same way with most everything including Gasoline - - - just watch the pump prices when a Holiday or the Weekend gets close - - - - then watch them go up and down according to "THEIR COMPETITION" :banghead: :angryfire: :whiteflag: :deadhorse:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:53 am

4.58 a lb at Winco, but you have to ask for them
Attachments
20245702_1546967648657389_4848407087278201108_n.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:16 pm

That's a great price..too bad they don't have a location near Austin...Wonder if they would ship some to me?
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:45 am

I've bought quite a few racks of beef plate ribs from Sam's Clubs all over the country. And yes, you have to explain to them they are the ribs they are cutting into short ribs, but they have never made me buy a case. As a rule of thumb, they run about a dollar less than the short ribs. Sometimes they are in a four pack, and sometimes a two pack, but never had to buy a case.
Mark Crigler
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 am

I saw on line that they had cases for sale...but I'm a costco guy, I'm afraid if I join another discount warehouse the savings will drive me out of my home..
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:57 am

I made some plate ribs before

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29526

I got mine from a local meat market here in Hutto for maybe $5.50lb? I just remember I got 2 slabs and it was about $40+. I drove to several HEBs and they didnt have any. Went to Taylor and they sold out. Price there was $4.90 but that was from one butcher who said they were stocked and he ended up showing me ribs that were cut across all 4 bones into strips. Another butcher who knew what I was talking about was the one who told me they were sold out. Didnt get a price but I would call them. Make sure to say Dinosaur ribs because some people dont know what plate ribs are... At least the ones I talked to over the phone.

WORTH the struggle
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am

Just returned from a sweep of south Austin HEB's..found four racks (had to go to two stores) at $5.50 per lb..not fantastic price but not too bad...
HEB #1 I managed to catch a butcher and asked him if the whole plates were less expensive than the sliced up mini ribs, he said yes let me go look.
Came back with two racks and said they were the last in the cooler, so onward to HEB #2 where they had whole racks on display!
The lesson here is to stay out of Central Market HEB..

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”