Lets talk smoke...

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Gencom
Pilgrim

Re: Lets talk smoke...

Postby Gencom » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:28 am

Well changing smokers was going to happen as i wanted a trailer rig so i can take it with me to my parents etc, now that thats out the way, I've had bbq in houston, austin, lockheart etc. im not meaning Rudy's bbq or anything like that though I have had Killens BBQ where you wait outside like 3 hours. I work in freeport texas and theres a small little independent place thats just open just for lunch. That true take you back to when you were a kid flavor.

I used the mustard because i read on a forum it helps the rub stick, next one i will try with no mustard just salt pepper and garlic and see how that goes. I'm sure ive gotten ill advice somewhere about rubs, thats why i will just simplify it down.
I also didn't think to aim for 280 on a brisket, or 300 for that matter i thought it would be too high, but it might bee the right temp to render fat without drying it out thanks KAM.

I've tried the brisket with no wrap, and that didnt go well at all i think.

My ribs i was using the same mustard on with rubs, i will forgo the mustard in the future, i have some sucklebusters hog waller i toss on them, would you recommend simplifying that down as well?

Chicken I usually brine, then rub with clucker dust and on the pit it goes.

I dont glaze my meat, and rarely use sauce.. but im getting great suggestions here...

lol so the smoke houses with the smoke coming out the roof are just broadcasting "hey everybody im doing it wrong " lol
Gencom
Pilgrim

Postby Gencom » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:33 am

Chasdev wrote:I follow the Franklin method..kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper at 275 (or as close as I can get to 275 measured at the cook grate level) with a water pan and with both the intake and exhaust wide open, which means controlling the temp with the size and amount of fuel added (or not added).
Don't open the lid for 3 hours and then spray with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice every hour thereafter.
I've wrapped and not wrapped and frankly don't see all that much difference..but I do like more smoke flavor than some folks.
I played around with different types of oak and there is a difference in flavor profiles, my favorite is fully seasoned post oak which is next to impossible to find.
LOTS of guys claiming to sell it but none can back up their claims, at least in Austin.

Whatt!!! i see tons of guys trying to sell post oak lol, guess its BS, if its thats hard to find in austin try houston. The one i didn't wrap was a tad too dry.. And yes Oak is not just Oak. and being as Post oak isn't whats just here abundly I may be just barking up the wrong tree, a co worker said he smoked a brisket in mesquite..... i called him brave.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 am

There ARE tons of guys claiming to have seasoned (dried to around 20% water content) post oak.
Problem is none of them have it when you get there or they get to your house.
They may have had some in the past but after they sold that tree they have to load something in the trailer and it's not gonna be seasoned post oak.
I don't want to be unkind but folks that cut trees and haul wood for a living may not have honesty at the top of the list when it comes to customer relations.
In Austin and on craigslist, my calls and visits to the vendors have done nothing to convince me otherwise, not to mention the quarter, half and full cords I bought that sucked.
texasbred
Pilgrim

Postby texasbred » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:38 am

I use post oak in my small offset for brisket, sometimes I may throw a couple of hickory chunks in at the beginning just to add something extra. Post oak is for sale all over Houston. My spritz for brisket is sodium free beef broth and water.

I know different bbq restaurants use different smokers. I'm by no means a smoker expert but I do know the white smoke from an electric smoker or pellet smoker won't put that same bitter taste on your bbq that charcoal or splits will. At least from my little bit of experience.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:16 am

Gencom wrote:Well changing smokers was going to happen as i wanted a trailer rig so i can take it with me to my parents etc, now that thats out the way, I've had bbq in houston, austin, lockheart etc. im not meaning Rudy's bbq or anything like that though I have had Killens BBQ where you wait outside like 3 hours. I work in freeport texas and theres a small little independent place thats just open just for lunch. That true take you back to when you were a kid flavor.

I used the mustard because i read on a forum it helps the rub stick, next one i will try with no mustard just salt pepper and garlic and see how that goes. I'm sure ive gotten ill advice somewhere about rubs, thats why i will just simplify it down.
I also didn't think to aim for 280 on a brisket, or 300 for that matter i thought it would be too high, but it might bee the right temp to render fat without drying it out thanks KAM.

I've tried the brisket with no wrap, and that didnt go well at all i think.

My ribs i was using the same mustard on with rubs, i will forgo the mustard in the future, i have some sucklebusters hog waller i toss on them, would you recommend simplifying that down as well?
Try a light dusting of SPG let set for about 15 min. then a light dusting of Hog waller and let set another 15 then cook.

Chicken I usually brine, then rub with clucker dust and on the pit it goes.

I dont glaze my meat, and rarely use sauce.. but im getting great suggestions here...

lol so the smoke houses with the smoke coming out the roof are just broadcasting "hey everybody im doing it wrong " lol
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
aking6341
Pilgrim

Postby aking6341 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 pm

When it comes to pork ribs there is nothing wrong with a little mustard slather. The mustard has no affect on the flavor and it's does not inhibit smoke penetration. I've done it with or without.

Don't get complicated on your rubs....

Course salt and pepper on brisket and the same on ribs with maybe a little paprika added for color.
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks guys. There is a lot of good information in this post. I know that I'm going to simplify my rub! :chef:
geedawg USER_AVATAR
GeeDawg
Pilgrim

Postby GeeDawg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Great thread here fellas. Love that pic you posted Txdragon.
On the subject of rubs, I gave up mixing up my own. I've been using The Salt Lick Dry Rub with some success. My last brisket (4th with the new smoker) came out great. Smoked with oak I bought at Academy - not much oak sold out here in El Paso, and a little bit of pecan. Haven't noticed much of a difference with the mustard/non mustard approach. Tried them both, same result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:06 am

Gencom wrote:
Whatt!!! i see tons of guys trying to sell post oak lol, guess its BS, if its thats hard to find in austin try houston. The one i didn't wrap was a tad too dry.. And yes Oak is not just Oak. and being as Post oak isn't whats just here abundly I may be just barking up the wrong tree, a co worker said he smoked a brisket in mesquite..... i called him brave.

Nothing wrong with mesquite. Places do it.

Valentinas strictly uses mesquite for everything, it definitely does NOT suck and made the Texas Monthly Top 50 list.

http://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com

I think the problem with mesquite is it's mostly small pieces and kinda sucks for large commercial smokers. Just fine for backyard.
Last edited by rockinar on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:17 am

Chasdev wrote:There ARE tons of guys claiming to have seasoned (dried to around 20% water content) post oak.
They may have had some in the past but after they sold that tree they have to load something in the trailer and it's not gonna be seasoned post oak.
I don't want to be unkind but folks that cut trees and haul wood for a living may not have honesty at the top of the list when it comes to customer relations.
In Austin and on craigslist, my calls and visits to the vendors have done nothing to convince me otherwise, not to mention the quarter, half and full cords I bought that sucked.

Im not sure why everyone expect the wood seller to have seasoned wood on hand all the time. Having a bunch of wood sitting around for a year+ doing nothing does not pay the bills, Just buy a cord or two and season it yourself. In the meantime you can find small batches of seasoned wood to hold you over till yours is ready. When yours is ready, buy another cord and you will have a never ending supply of seasoned wood and never have to search for seasoned wood again. On top of that you control the quality of it.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Lets talk smoke...

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:19 am

rockinar wrote:[quote="Chasdev"]There ARE tons of guys claiming to have seasoned (dried to around 20% water content) post oak.

Im not sure why everyone expect the wood seller to have seasoned wood on hand all the time. Having a bunch of wood sitting around for a year+ doing nothing does not pay the bills, Just buy a cord or two and season it yourself. In the meantime you can find small batches of seasoned wood to hold you over till yours is ready. When yours is ready, buy another cord and you will have a never ending supply of seasoned wood and never have to search for seasoned wood again. On top of that you control the quality of it.[/quote]If you were to advertise a 55" Led smart TV for sale and you ran out of them in stock, the very FIRST thing you would do is either take take that listing down, or modify the listing to what you Actually have on hand.
So for me, i DO understand why it's disappointing to not get what you want. As a small business owner myself, i realize that if i advertise a certain item, i Better have it.

As for seasoning wood urself, not all of us have that time, space,nor the interest.

Just my 2cents but I'm probably wrong
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:51 am

The reason I expected seasoned post oak was that's what EVERYBODY offering wood for sale said they had in stock.
In my case took two years with green oak and that's in Austin where I assure you it gets hot in the summer, or should I say from around april to nov.
I would strongly advise anyone living in the burbs to first buy a tightly sealed storage shed to store the wood till used, seasoned or not.
Vermin love wood piles, I learned this from experience.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 am

Chasdev wrote:Vermin love wood piles, I learned this from experience.

:tup: and SO DO Reptillys :shock: :whiteflag: :bow: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:16 am

That's what cats are for!!!
(Insert witty signature here)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:48 am

Look at the end of the pieces if its wicking moisture when you buy it its fresh cut and split. I have never had split oak take more than 6 to 8 months to season enough to cook with. That is unless you bought water oak and that could take a solid 18 months. Take two pieces slap them together if they sound like a baseball bat burn it if its a thud then its wet.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”