Lets talk smoke...

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Lets talk smoke...

Postby Chasdev » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Or buy a cheap moisture meter and test it for real.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-Digital ... ture+meter
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Chasdev wrote:Or buy a cheap moisture meter and test it for real.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We aren't fueling rocket ships it's just BBQ. :lol: So if you take your trusty cheap moisture meter out to the old wood pile and it takes a dump on you do you just tell your guests we're ordering out because I cant test my wood? Or what happens if you don't have enough perfectly seasoned wood to complete the cook do you freeze it for later or just finish in the oven? Just wondering how this works on a scientific level. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:43 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Look at the end of the pieces if its wicking moisture when you buy it its fresh cut and split. I have never had split oak take more than 6 to 8 months to season enough to cook with. That is unless you bought water oak and that could take a solid 18 months. Take two pieces slap them together if they sound like a baseball bat burn it if its a thud then its wet.

Good tip there Sir.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:44 am

I've still got my cheapo meter and after two years it still works just fine thanks!
The only pitfall I ran into is that the spike probe tips can bend if you don't press straight down into the wood.
It's not a deal killer. they can be straightened with needle nose pliers in about 2 seconds.
I got my eyes opened real fast when I started testing sticks out of the same pile..the ones on top dried out much faster than the ones at the bottom of a 1/2 cord.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Lets talk smoke...

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:49 am

Chasdev,

U hit a good point about a meter.
I've never used them for a cooking or smoking application, but I've used a meter very close to this type for testing certain woods that we work with. Gorilla glue actually bonds stronger when activated with moisture and this meter helped more than we expected. We've since went to kiln dried wood so it's not in use anymore, but i can see how it would help out testing for smoking.
As yours did, ours lasted for quite a while. As a matter of fact, it outlasted the Maverick Et 733 so to me it's worth a few bucks.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

k.a.m. wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We aren't fueling rocket ships it's just BBQ. :lol: So if you take your trusty cheap moisture meter out to the old wood pile and it takes a dump on you do you just tell your guests we're ordering out because I cant test my wood? Or what happens if you dont have enough perfectly seasoned wood to complete the cook do you freeze it for later or just finish in the oven? Just wondering how this works on a scientific level. :D

The entire reason to have a meter is to be able to test the wood BEFORE you buy it, be it in the back of a pickup truck and/or trailer or at the woodchoppers yard.
Once it gets into your yard or shed, the meter readings don't change a thing, you got good seasoned wood or you got something else.
In my case I bought the wood (four different sources and four lies) and then found out I should have measured moisture before I handed over the money.
It's a moot point now, I sold my stickburner and all my wood, now I'm down to an upright stick burner, three Webbers a Kamado and a pellet spitter..and I did include the moisture meter with the wood along with the warnings about false claims from wood pushers.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Chasdev wrote:I've still got my cheapo meter and after two years it still works just fine thanks!

Chasdev wrote:It's a moot point now, I sold my stickburner and all my wood, now I'm down to an upright stick burner, three Webbers a Kamado and a pellet spitter..and I did include the moisture meter with the wood along with the warnings about false claims from wood pushers.

So do you still have the meter or did you give it to the stick burner buyer I am confused.

This is my wood piles. It consists of red oak, hickory, and pecan. All of this wood I cut live trees left blocked for one month then split and stacked. Six months later we are cooking with it. I don't check the moisture I do as I have said before. My point to all of this is sometimes folks make things more complicated than they need to be in BBQ. Just cook and have fun. :D
IMG_4860.JPG
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”