Brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Tom159
Pilgrim

Brisket

Postby Tom159 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:48 pm

So I've just tried cooking my first brisket, a small piece of the flat. I cooked at 230f using my Weber kettle. Wrapped at 155f in foil and added some beef stock then cooked until 205f then rested for 50mins.

It didn't turn out as juicy as I've seen on YouTube or pull apart like it should once sliced so I know it needed cooking abit longer

But the meat was abit dry and not juicy when I sliced it even though I would of cooked it longer. Does anyone have any idea what went wrong or would more juices of rendered out to make it juicy and tender the longer I cooked it?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Brisket

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 pm

The flat alone is, at best, 50/50 shot of turning out not dry. Temps don't really matter. The meat is done when it wants to be. Temp is usually just a reference point, not a finish line. Look for probe tender: when you can insert a skewer through the thickest part of the flat with very little or no resistance; like butter, it's done! If it jad some tug when you sliced it; had to pull with some assertion to break the slices, it didn't go long enough and that connective tissue wasn't broke down enough regardless of temp.
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Don't pitch the dryish meat either....use it to make chili or chuck into a bean dish, mac 'n' cheese, potatoes, etc.....
Moink!
texasbred
Pilgrim

Postby texasbred » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 pm

I can't hardly ever get a flat only to turn out like a full packer, especially a cheap flat. I always inject a cheaper brisket or flat and wrap around 140 with some broth and water in the foil. Some cuts just don't have great marbling and dry out easy.

I agree with above though as long as it's edible you can use it in almost anything.
Tom159
Pilgrim

Postby Tom159 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks for the replies.

The meat still tasted great and it all got eaten so went down well, maybe just my expectations were wrong from the start as I was using the wrong cut of meat.

For the future if I do this again cooking it longer would it of turned out even drier or pretty much stayed the same but have pulled apart easier?
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 am

This is just my preference, but i like the Point much better. Never had a dry one yet.
Im also a fan of double towel wrapping and letting sit 2-3 hrs.
Always cuts like butter.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”